Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009

armania
Default Major (Re)Discoveries

Hi all,

Just want to share my enthusiasm with you. Yesterday, I made some amazing discoveries. Actually, those discoveries are something that has been present all the times but because of my ignorance I failed to recognize them.

The first discovery is that about skating position. Yes, it is the position to reduce drag as presented on DVD Easy Freestyle and everywhere in the forums. My first experience was I didnít feel anything I was only doing the drill as instructed BUT without realizing the true potential of that position. Until yesterday, quite by accident, I started with Superman flutter and in the middle I changed to skating. I noticed that I moved a bit faster. I still didnít realize it. So, I tried again and BINGO! Now, for the first time, I understand the true potential of skating position.

The second discovery is about core body rotation. The same as skating I thought to myself what it is? If I want to propel myself then I just use my hands (residue of traditional approach of swimming). Until yesterday, for once I tried to concentrate on spearing arms. The result? Whooooooosh, my body propelled almost like a torpedo. And the great thing was that the other arm just pulled naturally. It wasnít pushing back water. BINGO!

Other things that is great about TI (Iím sure you have heard about it) I manage to connect all the drills into one whole stroke not as a separate drill (something that I couldnít do it while I was on traditional teaching; everything was a separate drill).

Guys, to tell you the truth, when I (re)discovered those things, I felt so great like on top of the world. Finally, I began to understand the true value of TI method  Thanks God, and then thank to Terry for the TI. Canít wait to get to the pool and make some rediscovery.

PS Have been on TI since December, made some major progress (still have to work on the breathing though) compare to when I was on traditional teaching. I was just kicking, kicking and kicking like a demented soul (I felt that I should have kicked the instructor hahahaha).
Old 02-08-2009

Jamwhite

Awesome. Congratulations. I love skating through the water too.

Look forward to hearing more progress.
Old 02-08-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by armania View Post
... I was just kicking, kicking and kicking like a demented soul (I felt that I should have kicked the instructor hahahaha).
Congratulations, sounds like you're making really fast progress!
I can't believe that conventional swim instructors are still so fixated on kicking. Sometimes on Sunday mornings I do my weekly long swim in the YWCA pool because the water is cooler. Sunday morning it's a "women only" swim, aimed at Muslim women, and it's a strange experience because I'm occasionally the only person there who can actually swim. Last week two ladies were taking a lesson from one of the lifeguards and every time I heard a snatch of it I just cringed. ("Now kick really hard! I want to see white water!") They were being taught the same way I remember being taught some 40 odd years ago, and will probably not learn to swim any better than I did.
Old 02-08-2009

armania

Thanks Jamwhite and Rhoda. I remember one lesson the instructor told me was that I had to bend my knee and HAVE, I repeat, HAVE, to produce as much as white water as possible. In other words, I had to kick as if my life depended on it. And he also told me when I had to pull, there was no S form whatever, instead my hand should be as straight as possible (like a stick). At that time, I didn't know about TI, BUT, I did know that what he taught was TOTALLY WRONG (I searched the net found clips showing all the greats swimming). At least, I knew about the theory but didn't have the ability to put it into practice. Thanks God, I found TI!
Old 02-08-2009

ny1301

Congratulations! I can understand your excitement because I coincidently 'discovered' the value of skating and rotation the same day when I was practicing spear-switch !!!
Old 02-08-2009

Jamwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by armania View Post
I remember one lesson the instructor told me was that I had to bend my knee and HAVE, I repeat, HAVE, to produce as much as white water as possible.
What really irritates me are the swim instructors who stand by the side and make the scissor motion with their arms whenever their instructee is looking.

I do not give unsolicited advice about swimming, but if possible, I will always swim beside these poor people and do my more graceful 2-beat kick that I can manage at speed beside them.
Old 02-09-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwhite View Post
What really irritates me are the swim instructors who stand by the side and make the scissor motion with their arms whenever their instructee is looking.

I do not give unsolicited advice about swimming, but if possible, I will always swim beside these poor people and do my more graceful 2-beat kick that I can manage at speed beside them.
What is wrong with a /good/ 6-beat kick?
Old 02-09-2009

Jamwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Nothing in the world, but a 6-beat kick can be kept consistent without people on the side reminding you to kick.

I have this dream of having a TI team, where we all stand beside the pool in skating position with the weighless arm high in the air as if in salute for the racer (and because streamlining is a better symbol than frantic kicking :p)
Old 02-10-2009

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a 6 beat kick. What the previous poster was talking about was the instructor advising to kick really hard or make the water boil (or whatever expression denotes frantic kicking). When most people refer to flutter kicking they are not refering to a 6 beat kick. The 6 beat kick with the pattern of ffrffr (the f's are small flutter kicks and the r's are rotational kicks that are in sync with the hip drive and arm spearing we use in the 2 beat kick. I think if they counted their kicks they would be 8,10 or 12 beat kicks with as I said no coordination with the rotating body.
In real estate its location, location. In swimming its timing, timing and timing.
I enjoy your posts.
Old 02-10-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I think if they counted their kicks they would be 8,10 or 12 beat kicks with as I said no coordination with the rotating body.
Ah, yeah. When I learned to synchronize the kicks with rotation, the speed of my kick slowed, so the number of kicks must have decreased down to six.

I used to revert to a 2-beat kick. Now sometimes I start the 6-beat unexpectedly. Working on that one. heh