Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008

mailtonataraj
Default Face always deep inside water - Unable to Breathe on the side

All, am a newbie to Freestyle and picked up TI book and pretty much impressed with the details. Although i do Breaststroke without any difficulty and can do close to 1 mile. However when i started training for Freestyle i always found the face too deep inside water and whenever i try to swim sideways, my face is always end up n water and unable to breathe. Any suggestions?
Old 12-15-2008

Charger

I have this exact same problem. When I am pushing down on my buoy, so my legs will be lifted, my head is too far below the water line. When I roll to breathe I have to lift my head to get to air.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix this. Hoopefully someone will have an answer.
Old 12-15-2008

Rhoda

Is your hand too far down in the water? Try lifting your lead arm a bit. Experiment with different positions until you find the best one for both breathing well and staying streamlined.
Old 12-15-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

1. Check your head position. Is it aligned, or forward of the spine? It's common to push it down in an effort to look down (I call this "chicken-necking. Think of a chicken pecking at corn on the ground). Relax your neck, and release the weight of your head to the water.

2. Rather than "pressing on your buoy", focus on bringing the hips up. Any number of focal points dan help with this:
  • Optimize your lead hand position
  • "Extend" forward
  • Limit rotation (swim flatter), particularly with the hips
  • Relax!

3. If you have the old book or DVD, they talked about swimming on your side, with the shoulders stacked. That caused a lot of us to be underwater. Instead, just rotate enough for one shoulder to peak out of the water. I like to start from a flat position, and then extend my lead shoulder forward, and my "pocket" shoulder back. That usually give me just enough rotation.

4. Improve your aim. If I aim to be on the bottom of the pool, I can take three strokes and get there. If I aim for the rafters or the sky, I won't get there, but I'll be pointed in the right direction. Aim to be at the surface of the water, and pointed in your direction of travel.
Old 12-16-2008

subway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBrian View Post
It's common to push it down in an effort to look down (I call this "chicken-necking. Think of a chicken pecking at corn on the ground). Relax your neck, and release the weight of your head to the water.
Wow Brian! Congragulations! You are really a perfect swimming coach. I followed your posts and articles before and all of them are really helpful and practical. This chicken-necking is (was) exactly my problem. As you said in your post, I had chicken-necking. Nowadays I'm trying to correct this issue. Filming yourself while swimming is also another way to see these kinds of mistakes. I realized my chicken-neck after a short video sample of me swimming.
Old 12-16-2008
Coach

CoachBrian

Thanks Subway2!

Incidentally, it took me quite a while to realize my chicken neck. But when I emerged form the pool with a kernel of corn in my teeth, and a wattle, I figured it out.
Old 12-18-2008

Charger

Quote:
1. Check your head position. Is it aligned, or forward of the spine? It's common to push it down in an effort to look down (I call this "chicken-necking. Think of a chicken pecking at corn on the ground). Relax your neck, and release the weight of your head to the water.

2. Rather than "pressing on your buoy", focus on bringing the hips up. Any number of focal points dan help with this:
  • Optimize your lead hand position
  • "Extend" forward
  • Limit rotation (swim flatter), particularly with the hips
  • Relax!

3. If you have the old book or DVD, they talked about swimming on your side, with the shoulders stacked. That caused a lot of us to be underwater. Instead, just rotate enough for one shoulder to peak out of the water. I like to start from a flat position, and then extend my lead shoulder forward, and my "pocket" shoulder back. That usually give me just enough rotation.

4. Improve your aim. If I aim to be on the bottom of the pool, I can take three strokes and get there. If I aim for the rafters or the sky, I won't get there, but I'll be pointed in the right direction. Aim to be at the surface of the water, and pointed in your direction of travel.
This advice was very helpful for me. I was able to keep head closer to the top and had no problems going for air. This also helped me keep my legs up. For the first time I was able to make forward progress from just kicking in superman position. It was a big day for me.
Old 01-16-2009

armania

Brian,

I'm afraid my English is not good enough to understand your item 4. Could you please elaborate it? What do you mean by "improve your aim"? Frankly I have this same problem on the breathing. Thx.
Old 01-16-2009

ny1301

Quote:
[*]Limit rotation (swim flatter), particularly with the hips
I have been thinking (actually watching DVDs and youtube) should the whole body (except head) rotate to the same degree? Is it right to rotate shouldes more than hip so that there is a tension in the body? However I did not see that in the book, and not convinced myself from the videos either. Please shed some light on this. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2009

the_walrus

Want to thank CoachBrian for excellent tip on "chicken-neck".
I had problem breathing to my weaker right side and did not suspect it was due to head position.
Today I tried to raise it a bit and breathing to both sides became natural.
What a greate insight!