Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009

BradMM
Default Flip turns making me nauseous?

I've never really used flip turns much but I thought I'd practice them today. I stayed in the shallow end and would stand arm's length from the wall at first just practicing the flip. Then I backed up and did my approach before flipping. After about 12-15 of these I started to feel like I was going to be sick. I rarely ever throw up so this is not common but I felt like I was heading in that direction today. I rested on the side for a while and felt better soon but never felt great so I left not wanting to push it in case this was more than .

I'm guessing that this is a result of the flipping but I just wondered if that's something I should expect to get accustomed to and won't be a problem later or not? I try to not eat within at least an hour of swimming but maybe I need to back that up even more.

Brad

P.S. Here's some stuff from About.com

A swimmer asks: While I do enjoy swimming, I have never learned to flip turn. Every time I try to do a flip turn, I get nauseous! I want to learn how to do good flip turns, so I need help. Any ideas on how I can stop the sick feeling I get when I try to do a flip turn?

Swimming Guide: While flip turns are not necessary for swimmers, they do make swimming faster and often easier for most swimmers. An alternative to flip turns is an open turn. What do you look at as you do the flip turn?

If you are not already doing so, try looking at your knees as you flip. Your knees will not move much relative to the rest of your body (since they are part of you!) and that may help reduce the "I am tumbling" message to your brain. That reduction may in turn reduce or eliminate the nausea you are feeling while you swim and do the flip turn.
Old 08-07-2009

techie

I'm going to guess that part of the problem was in making repeated attempts one after another. Your vestibular system is not getting time to recover.
Spacing turns out between the laps will reduce this. Unless you are flying through the water, the time between walls should be enough.

I do know that when I have done laps while overtired, I've stopped to take a rest and found myself a little dizzy. This was in open water without turns, so be conscious of how hard you are pushing yourself.

And if it doesn't work out for you, open turns are still acceptable, many masters people do them.
Old 08-07-2009

BradMM

I do want to get better at both forms of turns and I think yesterday won't be the norm. Like you said, too much, too close together. Also, I had some left over chicken about an hour beforehand and, in addition to feeling bad in the pool, I burped all day long so I feel that something wasn't right in my stomach. I didn't eat much of it but maybe that little bit was the problem.

Thanks!