Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018
kentdavidge

Default I need to swim 50 m in 3 months

So far I have never swimmed. I should make an exam in 3 months where one should swim 50 m in 1 minute and 5 seconds time.

If I start right today to take classes 3x a week, will I be able to do it? Remembering that I know nothing about swiming.
Old 04-02-2018
david1swe

That sounds difficult. Doing 50m in 65 sec is rather fast. It's a pace faster than most recreational swimmers do. If you haven't swum at all, first goal should be to just being able to be in the water without sinking.
Old 04-02-2018

WFEGb

Hello kentdavidge,

Quote:
If I start right today to take classes 3x a week, will I be able to do it? Remembering that I know nothing about swiming.
Knowing not more, you wan't get a serious answer. Who should give it based on what?

At least I'd say: What does the answer matter? Give it a try and be courious what result comes out. Then go on with your work; either you reached your goal or not. Enjoy your start and your way!

So first I think, starting TI without knowing anything about swimming is a great advantage; you'll only have to learn new things and not take effort into fight against bad habits. (Okay our instincts are there without any learning...) Learning new is much more easier than relearning.

So my 2ct:
Get Terry's 1.0 Effortless Endurance bundle and start working through the workbook as soon as possible as patient as possible every pooltime. 50m is a distance you can swim in totally anaerobic mode. (Although as David wrote, 65s is fairly fast for a beginner.) As soon as you're able to do swim the very last 50m (and only this!) of your pooltime as fast as possible and measure yout time.

If you might reach your goal, these weeks will become so interesting to you, that you'll go on with TI in much more calm mood, surely. If you don't reach your goal, I'm sure the same will happen.

Most important: Enjoy your (TI)-way!

Best regards,
Werner

PS: If your name's ending "ge" means you're in Germany I'd be happy if you might get my/the 1.0 Translation.. (and with "coachwernergoldbaum" you'll even get it a little cheaper...)
Old 04-02-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

I agree with Werner that it's hard to know the answer to your question without knowing more about where you're starting from. What do you mean by "I know nothing about swimming"? Are you comfortable putting your face in the water? Can you float while holding your breath? How old are you? What kind of physical shape are you in?

I remember a weekend freestyle workshop where we had a swimmer who, on the morning of the first day, couldn't swim the length of the pool, though she did have basic water skills (it was really a mistake that she came, because we don't recommend that swimmers come to a weekend workshop unless they can swim the length of the pool). But she stayed and, the following afternoon, could not only swim the length of the pool, but actually had a lower stroke count than some swimmers who had been swimming for years!

Bob
Old 04-03-2018

Tom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavidge View Post
So far I have never swimmed. I should make an exam in 3 months where one should swim 50 m in 1 minute and 5 seconds time.

What stroke choices do you have.

I couldn't have got there with freestyle in 3 months, but woild have done it easily with backstroke.