Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2014

drtse
Default Distracted by water into the nose

So like alot of people, the breathing and timing issue is really hampering my progress.

Right now, I am trying to do the skate drill with intermittent breaths but most of the time when I turn up to get a breath, water gets into my nose creating that sort of stinging feeling and just totally throws me off.

Even if I try to breathe out through the nose as I turn up, I will still get some water infiltration.

Do I just have to "suck it up" and continue or is there a better way?
Old 05-22-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi drtse:

Nose clip: http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/ac...nose-clip.html
Old 05-23-2014

drtse

Haha...OK...thought about getting nose clips too...guess that's the easiest solution!
Old 05-23-2014

Doca

I started to teach myself freestyle in September last year. I could not do any drills or swimming without a nose clip. In fact after trying to swim without a nose clip (getting only a few strokes) I convinced myself that there was a physiological problem for me that meant I was always going to need a nose clip.

I had a lesson with a TI coach and he told me that it is definitely possible learn to swim without it. I was still skeptical but it was enough for me to persevere, I Googled it and found some exercises and while it was difficult at first I now don't have any problem without the nose clip, in fact I don't even think about it and never get water up my nose.

So I would avoid the nose clip as you might get stuck with it.
Old 05-24-2014

Lionheart000

I had the same issue..Exhaling all the way through until the nose clears the water works for me..maybe you should keep trying till you get it !
Old 05-29-2014
Coach

CoachBobM

One trick is to make sure you always save about 20% of the air in your lungs and blow it out through your nose just as it is clearing the water.

Bpb
Old 11-29-2014

Polaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doca View Post
I Googled it and found some exercises and I now don't have any problem without the nose clip
Would you mind sharing what those exercises were (links to what you found would be great)?

PS: I have the same problem and would prefer to resolve the issue without a nose clip. I find that some water finds its way in even after I finish exhaling above the water. For me, it is not a question of timing; even if I try freestyle breathing in my bath tab - the same thing happens. A bit of water gets in the nose when I start to inhale (through my mouth with the nose above water) or after he inhalation when the head starts to turn down.

Last edited by Polaris : 11-30-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2014

novaswimmer

I've been working on freestyle in earnest since Feb 2014. So it's been a full 10 months now. I can tell you that the breathing has been the biggest issue for me. I've had so much water up my nose, down my throat and everywhere. I definitely know where you're coming from. I think you have to push thru it and just realize that it will take longer for some than others.

There are several possible issues you need to self-assess. 1) Are you properly balanced in the water? 2) Is your timing off? -- Breathing too late? 3) Are you rotating your head enough? 4) Can your breathing technique (exhale) be improved or adjusted?

My sinuses get irritated with pool water too, and I'm blowing my nose and sneezing for hours afterwards. I had considered using a noseplug, but I love the freedom of being able to exhale thru nose and inhale thru mouth. And really, really wanted to learn to get this thing. Have to say that it has finally gotten slowly better over much time. With much practice of full stroke, emphasis on rotating the head to air -- first higher up, then slowly working to not such a high rotation angle. I also practice a patient extended underwater arm, so I don't get in the bad habit of using my underwater arm to push me up.

I breathe out slowly thru nose, keeping maybe 1/2 lungs full for buoyancy, then as I come up (making sure that I actually have access to air) quickly breathe out the remainder as much as I can, just prior to sucking in another bite of air. This is usually at the end of my pull and just as my arm is beginning recover, so as I exert effort to finish the pull, my diaphragm is not always relaxed enough to fill completely, but I do what I can. For a while I was breathing too late and my recovery arm was coming up and splashing water in my face, which I breathed in. So I had to adjust.

To complicate things, I'm less buoyant than many (most?), so getting to air has always been a struggle. I find the 'window' to reach air is very short. The timing is critical and even still, every once in a while, my timing is off and I'll suck in water. I'm getting better at keeping it out of the nose though. Perhaps this is an issue for you too?

Last edited by novaswimmer : 12-01-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2014

daveblt

The reason why you get water in your nose is because of an IMPROPER breathing rhythm . You have to breathe out THROUGH to the surface and then get your air .If you breathe in before you face clears the surface then sure you will inhale water . In my opinion you can use nose clips for starters but that's it .Why swim all the time by blocking of an air supply or release ? Learn the proper timing and throw the clips away. Even if you take a deep breath and dunk your head under water and barely exhale if at all through the nose water should not get in .It is when you inhale too early that causes water in you nose .Also in freestyle make sure you rotate to breathe as early as possible .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 12-14-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2014

Polaris

I realize that the most common reason for water in the nose is under-rotation and starting to inhale before nose clears the surface. This is not what is happening with me. I do NOT inhale under water. In fact the amount of water that gets in is very small - just enough to create that "stinging feeling" the first poster wrote about. I know for a fact that it is not a question of timing because I tried to rule that out as a possibility by experimenting in my bath tab - the same thing happened without any actual swimming to through me off.

Here is my current breathing rhythm:
-continue to exhale through the nose as the head and body turn until both nose and mouth clear the surface;
-inhale through the mouth - nose above water (at this point some water may enter the nose);
-finish inhaling and start turning head back into the water (also at this point some water may enter the nose);
[-exhaling right after this doesn't make the stinging go away].

Maybe it is mere droplets from the skin that manage to roll into the nose when it is not exhaling but it is enough to cause the uncomfortable stinging.
I even tried doing an additional little exhale as the nose lowers back into water, but that didn't seem to resolve the problem.

I have taken swimming lessons in the past - a nose clip was suggested and implemented. A fair swimming rhythm was established but as soon as the clip came off - the nose/water issue would return. Thus I wonder what more I can do to adjust my breathing rhythm to solve this problem without a clip.