Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013

rwilkes
Default Total immersion makes me unhappy....

Hi folks

The title says it all. It's 3.15am UK time and I am writing to say thanks for all your help on my unsuccessful ti journey.

I started posting on here back in 2009, with questions on balance, 4years on u could ask the same questions. I am the first to admit that I have never conquered balance in freestyle, nor breathing. To breath, you need balance, to balance and swim you need yo breath, a vicious circle that I have never broken.

I just don't see how self coaching can work. I have the books, DVDs, and am an avid reader if thus great forum, but for me the negative feelings I get when TI does not work for me is making me unhappy, stressful and dam right a pain to be around.

Before TI I swam, struggled like must people, but I think I actually enjoyed swimming then. Now I keep struggling, but don't enjoy it. Pre TI, I didn't know how a stroke could be improved, I thought it was all arms and legs, but after studying TI for 4 years, it makes me frustrated that I can not achieve what Terry and all the coaches insist we can achieve.

One of my problems us outside influence, notably triathlons. Race seasons is not far away and I can not see me getting anywhere near where I want to be. Yesi know, you are all thinking forget about times, but us that not why we race, to better ourselves ??

So for me this is the end of TI, it just hasn't worked. I could spend another 4 years of unhappy struggle, but TI is supposed to be life changing, not to make me unhappy.

Once again, thanks for all your help and I apologise for all those posts where I have whined about my swimming.

Best of luck to you all!'

Regards

Russ
Old 02-23-2013
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Dont worry be happy

Seriously....is this some kind of ruse to illicit acerbic and sarcastic responses.

Sorry???????
Old 02-23-2013

tomoy

I guess I wouldn't count on a swimming instruction method for my happiness. There must be many roads :-)

Looking back, I read that in early 2009 you could barely swim 2 laps w/o having to stop from exhaustion. Then I see you got some sessions with a coach. Jump forward a few years, last month you were regularly swimming 1000M? Maybe you mean to say that TI hasn't helped as much as other things, perhaps your determination has brought you this far more than books, dvd's, this forum. Fair enough.

Moving on though, maybe it's time to move on? I only mean that in terms of self awareness - if you're doing something that isn't making you happy for 4 years, why continue? Sure it may bring many others here much happiness, but we have different paths. My best friend (and brother!) loves running. I've tried to get into it numerous times - ran a few 10K's, read Chi Running. Doesn't make me happy. I may try again someday, maybe barefoot. But I know he's different than I, so I swim instead. Life is short to spend so much time in frustration.

There's a lot of research being done on happiness - not to get a psych on you - but the title of this post caught my eye. So all I hope for you is that you find what does the trick for you - and do it, then do it again and so on.
Old 02-23-2013

swimust

rwilkes post almost describes my story with a one difference. I feel that I have a "happy ending" and that I found my TI (Shinji technique) swim.
I was in his "place" until few days ago and then, bang, I found my technical problem.
rwilkes may not know it, but he might be just one fix away of "really" swimming.
In my case, it was about understanding when to start the weight shift (the body rotation after hip roll in the Shinji style) in relation to the stroking arm location. I am sure that rwilkes has a lot of knowledge and understanding in TI. I guess that he is just missing one or two points which will send him on his way to a "real" TI swim.
I will even guess that his problem is doing the weight shift correctly and comfortably but thats just a wild guess.
Anyway, I suggest not to give up and quit. rwilkes, you never know when you will find the "golden nugget"! I know exactly how you feel and all the stress and frustration involved. Try and read comments, see videos, find angles in videos etc. Open your mind.
My signature in this forum is: "if one human swims then I can swim". Its just common sense rwilkes.
You know that TI is for real. Your eyes do not deceive you when you see videos, so just find your "bloody" error. It will happen. One fix will lead to another or may be just enough in itself to make you swim.
I totally understand your mental state. I was in the same place but I didnt gave up and I continued with the self teaching (no coach).

Last edited by swimust : 02-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2013

andyinnorway

Russ,

I'm sure the thought of 'quitting' is making you more miserable than even a bad day swimming.

I've been on a performance plateau for the past year in terms of time but I have so many other barometers of progress that I don't feel demotivated, quite the opposite.

Assuming you are not going to stop triathlon but instead want to change up your swimming style then that's mainly a question of catch timing. Initiate your catch earlier to take out any glide in your stroke, swap 2beat kick for 6 beat flutter and you have a stroke supported by any swim school on the planet.

If your struggles are with balance and breathing then that's something you need to persevere with anyway as its a universal constant to good swimming, its just that TI highlights the importance of it and gives you tools to work on it by breaking down the task to smaller chunks.

Self coaching is really hard if you are someone that finds it hard to make small changes each length and be able to analyze the difference it makes to how you feel or perform. Its hard for all of us actually as we are focused on doing the task not observing it.

I'm preparing for my first Olympic triathlon in June and am 'competing' against 7 old school friends. The rest of them will push themselves to their physical limit on the day regardless of the training, stuff a load of energy gels down their necks along the way and be happy to cause themselves injury if it means winning on the day. I want to enjoy the day, the activity and finish in a time that satisfies me without risking injury and 6 weeks of no training, as its the lifestyle of healthy activity that makes me feel good, not the metric performance.

My suggestion to you is to take a break from active swim technique improvement and re-discover the joy of movement. Do some 1500-2000m swims at 75% effort and relax in the water. Releasing yourself from the burden of improvement will probably bring you gains you weren't expecting anyway.

Enjoy your season anyway.
Old 02-23-2013

Mike from NS

WOW Russ !!! This is too bad ... sorry to read this. But like tomoy says: " Life is short to spend so much time in frustration."

I think most of us have experienced the frustration of which you speak and like always the TI forum community is here to support you. Sounds corny, but it is true. Having invested 4 years I agree that you should see the results you expected at the beginning but can you really just give it up? My story is similar in that several times just before getting out of the pool, I'd be so frustrated that I figured swimming - like golf - wasn't to be my game. But once back home I couldn't wait to take another shot at it. I started the entire journey 6 years ago with the goal to be swimming in a new pool that construction was just started then. The announcement of the construction made me decide to learn to swim. Since my journey's beginning I learned the joy of swimming in an outdoor pool (from which the first year in that box had to be rescued by a lifeguard); rec department lessons are useless for some of us; and the TI method (not knowing any other method) works for some as well. But at least now I'm swimming (which never did before) and swimming in the new pool.

I still do not have the ability to swim 25M, turn immediately and head back for the next 25M as so many I see do. I do however see myself spending shorter end of lane rest times. As was pointed out again by tomoy, you have come a long way since your beginning. We all learn at different rates.

We have to set reasonably goals and try to exceed them. Playing in the water, I feel, is almost as important as structured drills. Go to the bottom of your pool and blow bubble rings ... play with it and gain comfort and breath control and have some fun. I've found the best use for those flutter boards is to sit on them and scull up and down a lane and enjoy the strange looks you get from bystanders but all the while gaining a better feel of balance. Maybe as Andy pointed out you are on a plateau which you feel too frustrating. Maybe it is time for you to step away and see if the water calls you back. Listen for the call because I'm sure it will be calling. We will still be here and will welcome your return.
All the best - has been great conversing with you.
Mike
Old 02-23-2013

dgk2009

I cant even tell you how many times I thought of giving up,learning freestyle is the hardest thing I have ever tryed to learn,some days I think I will never get it,but I make microscopic improvements as I go forward,then I watch an ironman and think I just cant give up,coming from a huge fear of the water I remember the first months getting to the edge of the pool and hanging on for dear life thinking I would die,I still have a long long way to go but have come so very far,T.I seems to make the most sense so I say NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Old 02-23-2013

Danny

Russ,

I would like to pretty much agree with the other responders to your thread. Life is short, and we all have to decide how to spend the time and effort we have. That said, I couldn't help noticing that you compete in triathlons, so I assume you can swim. What distances do you swim? Can you swim these distances comfortably if you don't push yourself? Freestyle? I gather that you have developed a sense for what your problems are, like balance, but are frustrated at an apparent inability to make progress. When I talk to and watch people swim, I tend to see them falling into two different groups: the analysts and those who simply learn by doing. I think TI appeals more to analysts, but this is not the most accessible way for everyone to learn new skills.

I hope you will still log in, every now and then, and give us an update on how you are doing. I would certainly be interested in any successes you may experience, with or without TI.

Danny
Old 02-24-2013

swimust

@rwilkes, try a simple trick. "You never know"...
Go to just one video. See the CoachSuzanne video where she describes her learning in a 3 days workshop. She added texts on the images in which she describes focal points and things to work on for herself.
Try and follow her text tips. Do not rush it. Just compare what you understand at the moment in your brain with what her text says.
One point after the other, take your time. Mentally its easy to do if you will trust yourself.

This is CoachSuzanne's learning curve in 3 days workshop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOM8BunXCM
Old 02-24-2013

CoachLuisaFonseca

Hi rwilkes!

You never had direct instruction from a coach?

I think 100 per cent self coaching is toooooo difficult.