Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012

gingi
Default Open water navigation and head lift

Hi there,
Suppose that I'm swimming in open water and there is a buoy I have to reach.
What is the technique for navigating to the buoy?
I understand that you have to lift your head a bit but in what phase in the stroke rhythm is it done?
Do you skip a breath when you lift your head or you continue to a regular breath on the side?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Open water breathing

I like to push off my lead hand just prior to initiating my recovery hand and slightly lift my head to eye level (only googles out of water). Ive finished exhaling and then I rotate to the recovery side and catch a breath.
The key is to not use to much downward force on the lead hand but to coordinate the head lift so that the head "bounces" up slightly or bobs to the surface. Extending the time on the toe flick with the opposite leg helps. There is a rhythm and a sweet spot when the correct timing is achieved.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaulB View Post
I like to push off my lead hand just prior to initiating my recovery hand and slightly lift my head to eye level (only googles out of water). Ive finished exhaling and then I rotate to the recovery side and catch a breath.
The key is to not use to much downward force on the lead hand but to coordinate the head lift so that the head "bounces" up slightly or bobs to the surface. Extending the time on the toe flick with the opposite leg helps. There is a rhythm and a sweet spot when the correct timing is achieved.

Good luck
I was practising with this the other day and mine is a bit similar, I count 32 strokes and then for my sighting stroke I hold my lead hand a little wider than normal and then sneak a sight by holding my eyes at 45 degress to the water and pointing the end of my nose towards where I think my target is e.g. marker buoy.

Its might not be as elegant as terry¨s peek and turn but when I tried that I was lifting my head too square and losing momentum.

this 45 degrees and wider hand for balance seemed very easy to get started with.
Old 05-21-2012

Richardsk

My inclination would be to sneak in a few strokes of breaststroke. It might not be the optimal solution but it would suit me. If all goes well I'll be swimming a 750 meter race in September here in Aberystwyth as one of a team of three in a triathlon. I may well swim the whole thing breaststroke because in the couple of practice swims I've done it feels much easier than crawl. Maybe I'll get used to the waves and murky water by then, though.