Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012

MarkkuS
Default Critique My Stroke

These clips are taken after a 2 day TI-clinic at Írebro, Sweden 24-25 mars 2012:

Under: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Z-Zys4ipc

Front: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKwj3aHuwLw

Side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5eD_4zPMKQ
Old 03-31-2012

boken

Looking pretty good, I think.

Keep working on your balance -- your legs and hips are low. Towards the beginning of the underwater video it wasn't bad, but they seemed to gradually sink as you went. I am not sure if you were just losing focus or what. How's your superman?
Old 03-31-2012

MarkkuS

Yes, it think my balance is a problem, even I always thought I had a good balance!
I have practised TI many years but I'm slow. But as the video shows, maybe my balance is my biggest problem.
The superman drill feels fine, but think I have to be more observant about my balance.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 04-02-2012

mjm
Default Hips and Legs sink

Markus:

Nice relaxed stroke and nice, high elbows. However, as Boken pointed out, you hips and legs drop as shown in the attached photo. Swimming at that angle creates a huge amount of drag.

One drill might help: superman glide with toe flicks. Concentrate on your toes and keeping them close to the surface. Flick them to keep them afloat. You may be surprised how--with practice--so little kicking effort is required to keep your feet on the surface.

Best regards. --mjm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edit Markku_0.00.06.20.jpg (12.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-02-2012

MarkkuS

Thanks for your opinion. Yes, my hips are low. I was very surprised when I saw the video, as I thought I had a good balance.

I will definitely going to do the Superman drill more often now, and your suggestion with toe flicking sounds good.
Old 04-02-2012

rayortiz32

Your head position is a little on the lower side. Seems you are almost looking back. This is probably leading your hips to sink.
Old 04-02-2012

MarkkuS

Low head, result low hips?

I thought it was the other way, high head result low hips.
Old 04-02-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayortiz32 View Post
Your head position is a little on the lower side. Seems you are almost looking back. This is probably leading your hips to sink.
The issue is that he's not addressing the balance, but creating a 2nd problem wiht the head position seen.

"Head down" is a frequent solution to sinking hips, but it's also possible to simply bend the neck forward, chin to chest and still have sinking hips.

Focus more on POSTURE than head position. Look at the video from the side and visualize someone tugging you simultaneously from the crown of your head and the ankles and PULLING...visualize how yoru body will straighten out into better posture and spinal alignment.

Now...how to get the hips down if the head is aligned...you need to apply pressure under the armpits and across the front of the chest as you rotate from side to side. without some shift of weight forward by contracting the abs (in an isometric fashion) the hips continue to be low.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 04-03-2012

MarkkuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Focus more on POSTURE than head position. Look at the video from the side and visualize someone tugging you simultaneously from the crown of your head and the ankles and PULLING...visualize how yoru body will straighten out into better posture and spinal alignment.
Thanks for the advice. I will try this.
One problem I have my posture, is that had a back injury many years ago. It makes my breast back little bended forward, which make straightening more difficult for me.
Old 04-03-2012

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
without some shift of weight forward by contracting the abs (in an isometric fashion) the hips continue to be low.
Hi Coach Suzanne,

Could you elaborate on this point please? I don;t know how an isometric vs non-isometric contraction of the abs would feel/look. And how does abs contraction move mass forwards?

I've been working on balance for months and am slowly picking up what I hope are the correct sensations, and then I found myself naturally slightly contracting my abs and glutes. But only a bit.

cheers
Ant