Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Backstroke Flags

I understand that backstroke flags are a set distance from the walls. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of an injury related to the flags not properly distanced from the wall.
I am required to have insurance for my classes and this question seems relevant even though Im not teaching any back stroke at this time. Would anyone be able to comment on this.
It seems that they are not required as some pools don't have them.
Thanks for your feedback
Coach PaulB
Old 01-06-2012

andyinnorway

my local pool doesn't have flags but they have a permanent yellow line on a cement joist on the ceiling.
Old 01-06-2012
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaulB View Post
I understand that backstroke flags are a set distance from the walls. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of an injury related to the flags not properly distanced from the wall.
I am required to have insurance for my classes and this question seems relevant even though Im not teaching any back stroke at this time. Would anyone be able to comment on this.
Thanks for your feedback
Coach PaulB
Flags not being properly set from the wall can lead to swimmers misjiuding the finish or the turn. i have seen swimmers require stitches on their head or feet because the flags arent in the right spot.

a lot of pools dont have or require flags if they arent hosting a meet or have a team training there.
Old 01-06-2012

Butiki

Quote:
It seems that way. I swim at 4 pools, depending on where I am at the time of day. All pools hold classes, and two of these pools have Masters sessions. However, only 1 pool has the flags permanently attached.
Old 01-07-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB

So having done a little research since my last post it seems that 15ft is the set distance the flags are supposed to be from the wall. This is applicable in a 25 yd pool. I'm not sure why it would be different in a meter pool but there is some info that prescribes a different distance. More like 5 meters from the wall. Maybe that is an international standard.
Thanks for the comments.

Coach PaulB
Old 01-07-2012
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
So having done a little research since my last post it seems that 15ft is the set distance the flags are supposed to be from the wall. This is applicable in a 25 yd pool. I'm not sure why it would be different in a meter pool but there is some info that prescribes a different distance. More like 5 meters from the wall. Maybe that is an international standard.
Thanks for the comments.

Coach PaulB
This is from the USMS rule book. 5 meters is the FINA world standard. 5 yds is a USA only standard. I would venture to guess that since the USA has a short course yards season, the governing body wanted the backstroke flags to be 5 yards from the walls instead of 5 meters from the walls

Since you are listed as a "coach" you should purchase a copy of the rule book from USA, USMS or whatever country you are coaching in. This will be good book to have so that you can answer rules questions from your swimmers, if they come up.

107.13.2 Location
A Long course and short course meters—5 meters (16 feet, 5 inches)
from each end of the course, a minimum of 1.8 meters (5 feet, 11 inches)
to a maximum of 2.5 meters (8 feet, 3 inches) above the water surface.
[M]
B Short course yards—15 feet (4.57 meters) from each end of the course,
7 feet (2.13 meters) above the water surface. [M]
C Measurement—Height shall be measured to the horizontal line from
which the pennants are suspended. [M]

Last edited by CoachJohnB : 01-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB

Thanks CoachJohnB. I will definitely purchase a book. And thanks to the others for your comments.