Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011

robedon
Default still having breathing issues

I don't get winded in any other sports, and I'm a year into swimming after the TI weekend class. I can do 250 yds straight now, but I should be able to do more. I recently had the thought that perhaps I'm blowing out too quick after taking a breath? is that possible? I have gotten into the habit of breathing every other stroke to the right.

my questions are how big of a breath do you take in? how fast do you exhale? I have practiced this in the car, and I get out of breath quickly with my swim style breathing pattern while on land. am I hyperventilating? Stroke is pretty good, I run 25+ miles a week, lift weights, etc.. I should be able to swim more than 250 straight by now.
Old 02-25-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robedon View Post
I don't get winded in any other sports, and I'm a year into swimming after the TI weekend class...my questions are how big of a breath do you take in? how fast do you exhale?
You are putting much thought into breathing. Perhaps too much. Try instead taking a normal breath every stroke: a quick bite during recovery. Don't gasp or over-inhale.

Then slowly exhale through the nose and/or mouth but do not exhaust all of your air. Same as on land where we don't suck in a huge quantity of air and blow it all out.

Eventually this will become automatic. Then you can try breathing every other stroke, or bi-breathing. You can always sneak in extra breaths if you feel the need.
Old 02-26-2011

forests

Robedon,
Perhaps the answer lies in relaxed everything; good balance, relaxed wrists, shoulders and fingers. I must confess that I swim about the same distance and am out of breath too. I, too, am in good shape and wonder when my distance will improve without fatigue. When I focus on relaxing "everything" and slowing my pace, I can go further.
Steve
Old 02-26-2011

robedon

hitting it again tomorrow. I will try to relax and go a little slower. going slow seems to be difficult for me. I feel like I'm sinking and suck in more water when I'm going slow.

It's tough to not put much thought into breathing!

Any land based breathing exercises to do that may simulate breathing in the water?
Old 02-26-2011

Rupertdacat
Default Swim. Swim. Swim. Patience. Swim. Swim...

Quote:
Stroke is pretty good, I run 25+ miles a week, lift weights, etc.. I should be able to swim more than 250 straight by now.
Approximately how many yards/wk are you swimming? I ask because I wonder if some (most) of those with little swimming background (myself included) simply need to build up a large base amount of yardage before it all starts coming together? Developing requisite strength and balance may require many hundreds of hours swimming which no amount of reading/visualizing/emulating can substitute for.

Just a thought,

Rupe
Old 02-26-2011

flppr

If you think you're blowing your air out too quickly, you might just be. Try breathing every 5 strokes, and see how that affects your breathing.
p.s. What is your pace while swimming?

Last edited by flppr : 02-28-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2011

sinker

Quote:

Any land based breathing exercises to do that may simulate breathing in the water?
Every day before leaving home for the pool, I warm up on my Schwynn Airedyne exercise bike about 15 min. I decided to experiment with breathing as follows: I would grab my normal "bite of air" on the bike, and slowly breathe out 4 or 5 seconds. After a while I would experience the familiar swimming breath discomfort. I discovered that if I took in a little more air and in a more forceful inhale, breathing efficiency was improved. It takes almost zero more time for this improved breath. I theorize my new inhaling method draws more air deeper into my lungs thereby oxygenizing my blood more completely.
Old 02-28-2011

robedon

I usually swim 700 yds 3 times a week in 30 minute sessions. this past weekend I did 1500 yds in about an hour. I do 50 in 45-50 seconds, depending on how hard I'm trying to go. I think part of the problem is learning to swim through the discomfort. When I run, it seems like the first 1/2 mile can often be the hardest and when I get winded, then miles after are the easiest.

has anyone done the breathing in the bowl exercise like in the O2 video?
Old 02-28-2011

rachapkis

When I first started swimming, I was having the same problem. A coach told me that legs use up a tremendous amount of oxygen and that I was over-kicking. He told me to try to stop kicking altogether (which is virtually impossible) in order to quiet my kick to a reasonable level. It worked and soon I was swimming a lot further than I had before.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2011

robedon
Default breakthrough

I think something has recently clicked. I swam 700 meters on Saturday, stopped out of habit, realised I wasn't tired, so I swam another 500. I think I have been stopping when I get uncomfortable and out of breath, and now I've learned to push through that feeling and my breathing seems to settle. The same thing happens when I run, but on land I can't drown! Hopefully I can quickly build on my distance and get up to a mile soon.

thanks for the help!