Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011

MASWIM
Default 2-beat kick diagonal extension

I've been doing TI for about 11 months. Group lessons, etc. I've made good progress overall. Been lurking on the forum for months picking up loads of good tips. Thanks to everyone.

I've come to the point in my progression where I'm beginning to integrate a two-beat kick to help with propulsion as well as keeping my hips higher in the water.

During my sessions I feel the diagonal extension from kicking foot to opposite spearing arm. This is good. However, this seems to create tension which translates into a large effort. It also seems to inhibit my breathing for some reason. This tires me quickly, more so than not kicking at all which is how I've been training the last several months.

Read in forums about kicking from the *gut*. Been trying to do this. Not sure if this is causing my tension.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

the kicking should aid rotation more so than propulsion. They are integrated, yes, but if you are thinking of kicking to move you forward adn keep your hips up, you are probably not allowing your body to rotate aided by the kick.

Don't know...maybe just something to think about.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-15-2011

MASWIM

Thanks Suzanne, I am trying to kick and extend rather than kick and rotate. I remember seeing from the DVDs that there is a diagnol connection from kicking leg/foot to spearing arm.. So , If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the connection is kick to help with hip rotation and hip drives spearing arm forward?
Old 02-15-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASWIM View Post
Thanks Suzanne, I am trying to kick and extend rather than kick and rotate. I remember seeing from the DVDs that there is a diagnol connection from kicking leg/foot to spearing arm.. So , If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the connection is kick to help with hip rotation and hip drives spearing arm forward?
I'd say that's "more correct". If the tension in your body doesn't allow you to rotate then the kick is really only making you move up and down a bit.

I experimented with this in the hot tub one day while relaxing and wondering why some people "got it" immediately, and others had such trouble.

I stood on one foot lightly with hands on the wall in front of me leaning slightly forward. I did a downbeat kick with the right foot, starting from an extended behind me position.

I experimented with differing amounts of body tension & release and visualizations. I discovered that the single downbeat kick with my right foot could do one of 2 things depending on what I did with my core & hips.

a) move my hips up towards the surface, both right and left sides equally
OR
b) rotate my core so that my right hip went up and my left hip went down.

I realized that for many people, they could be doing exactly what we are telling them to do...a downbeat kick with one leg and extending the opposite hand.

But if the core tension in the hips does not allow for rotation around a "skewer" then the kick is essentially wasted.

Experiment with just standing in water at least waist deep, and allow the stance foot to pivot a little, and kick with the other and see how many different ways you can allow that kick to move your body. To proper way is to allow it to rotate your core as if you were on a skewer like a pig on a spit. :)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-16-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

One reason for fatigue may be a too-large, over-powered, leg drive. When I first experienced 'diagonal power' I was so excited by the sensation I went for all I could get. After 10 x 50s I felt like I'd just done a weight lifting set.

At the time I thought that was good - an indication I'd activated a lot of muscle tissue (or, as physiologists say, motor units). I'd be developing more power.

Two things eventually made me question this strategy:
1) While this kick unquestionably added power and speed to my swimming, it proved hard to sustain. My legs would tire in the last part of races.
2) I saw underwater video and was dismayed at how far apart my legs were at the finish of the diagonal drive. I was creating nearly as much drag as propulsion.

Since then I've focused on a much tighter, sharper movement. I stopped describing the kick as 'leg drive' and began using the term 'toe flick' instead.

For an example check the underwater section of this video of both Shinji and I swimming in synch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmnJnmahLw

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-17-2011

MASWIM

Thanks Terry, Spot on. "When I first experienced 'diagonal power' I was so excited by the sensation I went for all I could get."

I had a good swim last night trying the toe-flick and staying relaxed. However, interesting enough my SPL went from avg - 17 - 18 to 20-21. I was much more comfortable but taking more strokes.

I'm having difficulty with the concept of "kicking from the hip" while keeping my leg relaxed. I've never been a good kicker..

Any tips or visualizations?

Thanks