Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011

chadhartley2004
Default I am a Sinker...No really, I am.

I have been practicing the TI way now for a couple months and have improved considerably. I even have a "coach" that teaches 99% the TI way. BUT, I am a sinker. And yes, I really think I am one (I know everyone does)....but REALLY! I am perfectly level horizontally but my entire body sinks. I can't avoid it. I can skate, superman float....everything...and yet within a matter of seconds I still hit the bottom of the pool at the exact same time from head to toe. I think this is balanced...IS IT NOT? Its like inserting a 5'10" steel I-Beam into the water and watching it hit the bottom of the pool FLAT. It makes is very difficult to breath when I am atleast a foot underwater all the time. Finding "sweet spot" is impossible...IF i could float on my back this would be a lot easier wouldn't it? Should I gain some extra FAT so I am more buoyant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A disgruntled aspiring Triathlete
Old 02-12-2011

jeetkevdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhartley2004 View Post
Should I gain some extra FAT so I am more buoyant?
How lean are you?
Old 02-12-2011

chadhartley2004

Pretty lean i guess....I have way to much muscle mass i think is the problem. I have been trying diligently to lose the muscle mass, but its not coming off as fast I would like. It also prevents good range of motion in my shoulders. BUT, I have scene other triathletes just as "bulky" or dense as I am and they seem to be FLYING through the water without any perceived effort. Whats the difference. I am assuming that our body density is similar....but I could be wrong.
Old 02-12-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

What if your lungs are full of air?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-12-2011

flppr

Do you sink when your lungs are full of air?
Old 02-12-2011

KatieK

This topic kind of fascinates me. Does your coach agree that you sink horizontally? Could you get a video of yourself sinking? It's hard (for me at least) to gauge exactly how my body is positioned in the water without some kind of external feedback like that.

My husband is extremely lean--about 8% body fat. (That's the "too lean" category for his age, "athletic" for someone age 20-39).

He doesn't sink like you're describing. He can't float comfortably on his back, but he definitely doesn't sink horizontally to the bottom of the pool.

I'll be interested to see what other responses you get on this.
Old 02-12-2011

chadhartley2004
Default Lungs FULL!

Yup...lungs completely full of air...I still sink. A tad bit slower though. Of course legs sink faster than lungs...but I can't swim with lungs COMPLETELY FULL all the time. Thats FORCING extra air into my lungs, more than is "normal".

Yes, my coach agrees I sink. We've been trying to combat that but without much luck. I can swim FASTER to keep up on top of the water...but that defeats the whole purpose of being relaxed while swimming.

Also. As soon as I rotate in the slightest bit from flat on my stomach, I sink horribly fast. Makes it difficulty to rotate and breath. I am not "stacking" my shoulders at all. Just as the surface area of my body decreases from the rotation....its like dropping a pencil in the water...straight in.
Old 02-12-2011

flppr

Have you tried exchanging air only in the upper register of your lungs? I agree with Katie, it would be great to see this on video.
Old 02-12-2011

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhartley2004 View Post
Also. As soon as I rotate in the slightest bit from flat on my stomach, I sink horribly fast.
That has to be tension rather than physiology. The amount of water your body displaces (i.e. how much you float or sink) doesn't change when your body position changes. The only thing that changes is which parts of you sink.
Old 02-12-2011

chadhartley2004

When I start to bring my arm out of the water to take my next stroke is when I sink the worst. I too would be interested in getting some video of myself. Maybe when I got to take a stroke I tense up and don't even realize it...which in turns make me sink....I will have to swim tomorrow and see if that might be it. Thanks for the ideas....KEEP THEM COMING! I have got to figure this out!