Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010

flppr
Default I found time to breathe!

I took the freestyle course in San Diego a couple months ago, and one of my many problems was getting air. I tend to over rotate, which causes me to drop like a rock and doesn't allow me enough time to inhale. Last night, I discovered that if I keep my lead arm very wide when rotating to air, so wide that I feel my a stretch in my pecs, it acts as an outrigger, keeping me from over-rotating, and so well-balanced in the water that I have plenty of time to get air. It also helps me inhale just above the surface of the water, keeping one goggle in the water. I don't know if its the "right" way, but it sure does feel like it.
Next goal, turning my head back to water sooner, and then bilateral breathing.
Old 01-01-2010

pmen10

Thanks for sharing that. I've been struggling with that very thing for my four months of TI training. I look forward to putting the wide arm to the test on Monday.
Old 01-02-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Wide is good. It helps to set up the catch as well.

Another thing you could try is leaning on your underarms. I remembered that emphasis while taking a breath during Superman Flutter; basically changing it into a catch-up drill. It made me more stable while breathing, allowed me to breathe to the weak side, and it helped to get me into a long, relaxed stroke which I was so into to I almost crashed into the wall. haha
Old 01-03-2010

flppr

i filmed myself, or rather, i had my wonderful, long-suffering wife film me today, and i discovered my lead arm is not nearly as wide as i thought. i am actually only extending my elbow fully in the horizontal plane, but my hand does end up wider than my shoulder. it feels like i have a shelf to hold onto with my lead arm while i breathe on the other side of my body. gone are my stacked shoulders, neck strain and trunk side flexion to get air. huge breakthrough.
once i become unconsciously competent at breathing, i'll use shu's armpit trick to correct my tendency to swim uphill.
Old 01-05-2010

joeintx

flppr - Congratulations on your new breathing skill!!
Old 01-06-2010

flppr

Thanks, Joe. So today, I wanted to work on getting my elbow higher like I see the pros do, and of course, it made me drop more quickly, so I had to concentrate on counter-balancing my high elbow with my wide lead hand. Two steps forward, one step back. Strangely though, my lower body was higher today, and I wasn't swimming uphill as much, maybe because I was trying to spear to catch position. So much to learn, so little time!
Old 01-06-2010

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
So much to learn, so little time!
You have all the time in the world!
Old 01-12-2010

flppr
Default lots of fine tuning today.

i learned lots of little, important things during my swim today.
1. "bite of air" is true. i had been taking in big belly-breath-fulls of air to make sure i had enough air, and using pursed lips to make sure i didn't get water in my mouth. today i took only small breaths with relaxed lips, and i found i got all the air i needed for a 45-minute, uninterrupted pool swim, and used less energy doing it.
2. both lead hand and head position are important for getting air. lower lead hand and head= more work required to get air. for me, looking forward a little instead of straight down makes breathing much easier, as does a more 3 o'clock lead hand position. still need to find optimal position to balance upper and lower body.
3. wide lead hand is most important factor for me to keep from dropping in the water when turning to breathe. like i said before, its like holding onto a shelf, keeping my body level in the water while taking a breath.
4. keeping recovery hand closer to body uses less energy than "hug your buddy", but requires wider lead hand to keep from dropping.
Old 01-12-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

[quote=flppr;8378]
2. both lead hand and head position are important for getting air. lower lead hand and head= more work required to get air. for me, looking forward a little instead of straight down makes breathing much easier, as does a more 3 o'clock lead hand position. still need to find optimal position to balance upper and lower body.

There is another option. Look ahead just before turning to breathe. That way you could look down the rest of the time.
Old 01-12-2010

flppr

[quote=shuumai;8384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
Look ahead just before turning to breathe. That way you could look down the rest of the time.

Thanks. I'll try that.