Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012

johnny.widen
Default How to keep the laser line? Check the video

As Markku (MarkkuS) and Johan (jofo), I would like to pay tribute to the TI coaches Mat Hudson and Pawel Lewicki and the TI mentor Lennart Larsson for the successful TI workshop in Írebro in Sweden last month. Having the opportunity to get immediate feed-back on my swimming from such knowledgable and skilled coaches was terrific. If you have a chance to join a TI workshop, just do it!

Also as Markku and Johan, I will provide a video of my swimming. As you will see, I have pointed out one problem that was detected during the workshop. I am zig-zaging my head. I am not holding the laser line. I wasn't aware of that and even when I now know about it, it is not something I can't feel while I am swimming. I am currently working on some drills I've got from Mat.

What's your take on the cause and what's the cure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2VdNCUYYs
Old 04-20-2012

Scotty
Default Great video

Johnny:

I love the top, side, and underwater views shown simultaneously. Very creative and so much more convenient than looking at three different videos.

I thought your form was close to flawless. Great high elbow entry, rotation, two-beat kick, and a smooth long glide. You might be making too much of the laser line. Your rotation is always going to take you slightly to one side,so the red line will not bisect perfectly. But your body was never outside the red line.

One of the best videos I've seen by a non-coach.

Congrats.

Scotty
Old 04-20-2012

Alex-SG

Hello Johnny,

Very nice and relaxed stroke indeed. I also like your 2BK and overall smooth rotation.

I just came back from a business trip in Turkey where I had a lesson with Mat Hudson as well. Great 3h session and guess what? Same problem as you.

My head also swings from one side to the other and so does the "tail".

In a case like this it is important to understand if it is the head moving or if it is something else that makes the head move.

I am going to work on drills to see if I can correct this but these are some possible reasons (at least in my case):

1. A legacy of the weight shift concept. I always read to shift the wait to each track and may be I developed the habit to move the head to achieve this

2. Spine alignment (laser) is not straight. If the spine is perfectly straight, than rotating like a log means keeping the laser straight. On the other hand if the back is curved, I expect the following to happen:
Kick initiates the rotation, hips rotate, shoulders rotate along a different axis, making the head move

3. Spearing arm/Catch Pull. If not done along a track, could these 2 "Push the body" in the wrong direction?

4. Kick. In my case I could be kicking from the knees, sideways. I wonder if this could also be a reason

Overall I have a feeling that my curved back may have something to do with this. ALEX
Old 04-20-2012

westyswoods
Default No Advice, Video Question

Very nice looking stroke and balance really can't see a great deal of nonalignment.

My question is how did you get the three shots synced and posted. This is by far the best and most revealing piece of video I have seen posted. Is it one shot from three different cameras or edited and posted from three simultaneous cameras of the same length.

Need to know how it was done.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 04-20-2012
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Refinement

What I see is a very nicely composed stroke. As someone mentioned, the curvature in the lower back could be reduced thereby straightening the spine. A very subtle tuck in the sacrum can help in this streamlining effort. Lowering the head 2 degrees will also help streamline.
I m curious to know how far you can maintain this beautifully composed stroke.
Old 04-20-2012

mjm
Default Out Sweep

Johnny: interesting video and nice, relaxed stroke. However, you are fishtailing. Your catch with your right hand starts too wide--outside your shoulder--then sweeps out further away from your torso. Your left hand meanwhile just crosses the center line then also sweeps outside your bodyline. This "out sweeping" causes your body to fish tail--it is almost never traveling in a straight line.

Remedies:
--wide spearing. Look where your arms spear--the right too far outside the shouder and the left crosses over. That's hard to fix by yourself. Have someone watch you or video from the front so the arms move directly in front of the shoulder.

--elbow bend. You have very little bend to the elbows during the catch. That straight arm catch may put too much stress on your shoulders so you compensate by moving the hands out away from your torso. You might try bending the elbows-keep them high--and focus on bringing that bent elbow OVER the hand. That won't happen but it may help your hands move straight back instead of diagonally and out to the side.

Just for comparison look at Ian Thrope from the front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P31XJ16C4Ag

Good luck. mjm

Last edited by mjm : 04-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2012

drmike
Default Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
What's your take on the cause and what's the cure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2VdNCUYYs
As pointed out, entries are much narrower on the L than on the R side.

This seems coupled to asymmetric recoveries: Not always but often the L upper arm is nearly vertical in mid-recovery, unlike the R upper arm. This complicates lateral balance and may contribute to the fishtailing. Maybe one could focus on the complete L-sided recovery with less rotation of shoulder.

Mike M.
Old 04-23-2012

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
Hello Johnny,

Very nice and relaxed stroke indeed. I also like your 2BK and overall smooth rotation.
Thanks Alex!

Quote:
I just came back from a business trip in Turkey where I had a lesson with Mat Hudson as well. Great 3h session and guess what? Same problem as you.

My head also swings from one side to the other and so does the "tail".
What a coincident! It will be interesting to see if we might have the same cause.

Quote:
In a case like this it is important to understand if it is the head moving or if it is something else that makes the head move.
Exactly!

Quote:
I am going to work on drills to see if I can correct this but these are some possible reasons (at least in my case):

1. A legacy of the weight shift concept. I always read to shift the wait to each track and may be I developed the habit to move the head to achieve this

2. Spine alignment (laser) is not straight. If the spine is perfectly straight, than rotating like a log means keeping the laser straight. On the other hand if the back is curved, I expect the following to happen:
Kick initiates the rotation, hips rotate, shoulders rotate along a different axis, making the head move

3. Spearing arm/Catch Pull. If not done along a track, could these 2 "Push the body" in the wrong direction?

4. Kick. In my case I could be kicking from the knees, sideways. I wonder if this could also be a reason

Overall I have a feeling that my curved back may have something to do with this. ALEX
Some of these might very well apply to me.

In the dryland exercise I used to do to get my elbows right at recovery I haven't previously thought of the head position. My head has not been fixed and has followed the rotation. I have done a lot of these, so it is well imprinted. I now do them differently with focus on really have the head fixed and let the shoulders rotate separately.

When I walk the dog and I am sure that nobody sees me, I now use to rotate my shoulders without moving my head... And I do that also every now and then when sitting behind my desk, watching TV, etc. ;-)
Old 04-23-2012

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Very nice looking stroke and balance really can't see a great deal of nonalignment.

My question is how did you get the three shots synced and posted. This is by far the best and most revealing piece of video I have seen posted. Is it one shot from three different cameras or edited and posted from three simultaneous cameras of the same length.

Need to know how it was done.
Thanks Westy!

It is three different cameras with three different operators. I have then edit them together in Final Cut Pro X. One tricky part was to get the right sync, since the cameras started at different time. I had to find the same stroke in the three videos. It would have been nice to have a visual or audible sync point and that the cameras had started before that point. An easy and obvious such sync point would have been when I pushed off from the wall.

I also had to compensate for the deck front angle, since my body wasn't at the same spot in the frame in the beginning as in the end of the shoot.

Knowing the tool makes it easy, but a little time consuming to do it.

I am sure that this can be done in Premiere Pro as well, but I am not sure if it is possible in no-pro software like iMovie.
Old 04-23-2012

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaulB View Post
What I see is a very nicely composed stroke. As someone mentioned, the curvature in the lower back could be reduced thereby straightening the spine. A very subtle tuck in the sacrum can help in this streamlining effort. Lowering the head 2 degrees will also help streamline.
I m curious to know how far you can maintain this beautifully composed stroke.
Thanks Paul. I will try a lower head.

With the tempo in the video, I think I can hold the stroke for quite a while. I normally swim at a higher tempo. I always try to keep the focus points I have chosen and when the technique falls apart I stop.