Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011

LennartLarsson
Default Overgliding

TI is fantastic, but I have seen a risk when watching friends swimming as they want o go faster. I had the same problem, but when I understood that swimming is a continuous process, I realized that I was wasting energy by overgliding. One of the topics in TI is strokes per length, SPL. I can swim 50 meters using 29-30 strokes, but I swim a lot faster by using 38-40. When you stretch yourself in order to become looooong, you lose speed. Nothing positive happens really when you glide. What is the experience from you? Quite many triathlon swimmers overglide and cross over when they swim. A lot of the guys I know here, get there base technique from TI DVD:s, but they do not realize that overgliding is not helping them. Isn't there a risk that people in general, get the impression that TI means slow and long gliding strokes?

Would be interesting to read some comments. Terry?

/Lennart
Old 04-27-2011

forests

Lennart,
I have been doing TI for about 2 years now, self-taught, but I recently realized that I was emphasizing my glide to a greater extent than I should. There have been numerous posts in the last year cautioning us about relying too heavily on a low stroke count.
My 25 yd. count is 13 when I glide but when I pick up the pace with a quicker recovery, it falls to 15-16 but feels better and is more relaxed. This seems counterintuitive but its true. Although Terry had espoused this, I had to experience it myself.
In summary, I think that a low stroke count and gliding are helpful as drill/learning tools but one needs to progress to the next level to achieve a more natural whole stroke rhythm. This is just a recent discovery of mine in the long process of mastering TI technique.
Just my two cents,
Steve
Old 04-27-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartLarsson View Post
I realized that I was wasting energy by overgliding...Isn't there a risk that people in general, get the impression that TI means slow and long gliding strokes?
This thread and this post may lend perspective.
Old 04-27-2011

LennartLarsson

Steve, looks like we have the same view. Sorry guys, that I did not know that this discussion had bee up before. So no reason to continue. Thanks BORATE, I have gone through the tread.

/Lennart
Old 04-27-2011

westyswoods

Lennart,

You thoughts are a reinforcement of what I have come to realize over the past few months. Although my stroke rate is still quite slow and several have encouraged me to pick it up. I will when I can find a TT which works for me. I found that there is a trade off in that low SPL vs SR vs comfort and efficiency.
I have accepted that for now my best SPL is higher than what many would consider to optimal. I become concerned when they go above 18 and will not go over 20. This is a change from the 16-18 range I had worked in. My intent is to get there but right now my skill level calls for the higher. I can get to 13-14 when doing 25's but it is just not realistic for me with whole stroke swimming.

Thanks for the reminder and hope all is well with you.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 04-27-2011
Coach

CoachDave
Default Find balance

For most swimmers, more glide is needed. Like any focal point, it can be taken too far.
For each action or choice to glide, ask yourself if it is worth it. if you drop an arm earlier, do you gain more propulsion than the extra resistance you receive? For most swimmers I see, it's not worth it. But there is a point of too much glide.
I can hit 6-7 strokes in an exaggerated flow per length. 8-9 is forever easy distance speed. 10-11 is distance race pace (and I've seen swimmers hold 52-53 seconds per 100 on this stroke count). 13-14 is my strong tempo for the 200 or so. Anything higher, and it's not worth it.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com