Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-03-2011
aquarius aquarius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 87
aquarius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Talk of 90 degrees is a red herring - you can't breathe at 90 degs without
lifting your head. As the image showed, you need to be looking upwards more.
That's why I said AT LEAST 90°. But when you have sufficient speed and the head in the right place (instead of bobbing all around), 90° are probably sufficient to breathe in the bow wave.

The following image is taken from one of Shinji's video on Youtube:



His head is almost exactly at 90° when he breathes, and most of these 90° come from the shoulders.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2011
CoachKris's Avatar
CoachKris CoachKris is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 69
CoachKris
Default

Thats why i mentioned fins before as they will allow you to drill with greater speed, btw without a descent speed there will be no bow wave, try pop-eye breathing and gradually progress to that low head position by following Terry's instructions from dvd ;) If you have a chance try using video to see where your head actually is as it may vary from the picture you have in your head ;)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
That's why I said AT LEAST 90°. But when you have sufficient speed and the head in the right place (instead of bobbing all around), 90° are probably sufficient to breathe in the bow wave.

The following image is taken from one of Shinji's video on Youtube:



His head is almost exactly at 90° when he breathes, and most of these 90° come from the shoulders.
That is an artist's impression, not Shinji.

Shinji doesn't swim that way.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2011
aquarius aquarius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 87
aquarius
Default

It's not very different from what you see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

regarding the angles of rotation, though he seems to rotate his head a bit more in the underwater images.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-03-2011
Lawrence Lawrence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 804
Lawrence
Default

Yes it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breathe.jpg (18.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-03-2011
bx bx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 422
bx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
Thats why i mentioned fins before as they will allow you to drill with greater speed, btw without a descent speed there will be no bow wave, try pop-eye breathing and gradually progress to that low head position by following Terry's instructions from dvd ;) If you have a chance try using video to see where your head actually is as it may vary from the picture you have in your head ;)
Thanks Kris; Is pop-eye breathing the same as sweet-spot breathing, ie. rolling most of the way onto your back? I have Easy Freestyle DVD and am not familiar with the term..

Unfortunately fins, snorkels etc are verboten in my pool, though that by no means invalidates your advice. I'm going to grow me some decent upper-body strength instead :)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-03-2011
flppr flppr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 449
flppr
Default

I think he means "Popeye" breathing out of the side of your mouth, with one goggle out of the water. Eat your spinach.

Last edited by flppr : 03-03-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-03-2011
bx bx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Posts: 422
bx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
I think he means "Popeye" breathing out of the side of your mouth, with one goggle out of the water. Eat your spinach.
Oh, that Popeye!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.