Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011

redline9k
Default body roll question

obviously, im new to TI...the book arrived and I am completely hooked, but the DVD is still in shipping. Ive returned to the pool after many years off to give triathalons a shot. For the last few weeks ive been doing as I used to do in high school, churning out lap after lap, hoping to build up my strength...low and behold comes the internet, showing me what ive always wondered about...there must be an easier way!

Ive always tended to roll somewhat (and was told to stop by my coach back in HS), but now that I have some research to back up my natural rhythm, I have a few more questions....

What is the most effective body roll? Do I want my shoulders, stomach AND legs to be 90 degrees from the bottom of the pool or just my upper core? Do i want to be totally on my side or some lesser angle like 45 degrees or so? It seems like more roll would give you better "snap" but Im not sure if it would be wasted energy rolling 180 degrees from side to side...

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by redline9k : 02-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2011

flppr

You want to roll/shift weight from side to side as a unit, not segmentally. When swimming at a leisurely pace, you can roll onto your side if you have good balance. At faster paces, you don't have time to roll as far, and you only roll "off the stomach". You have to experiment to find your best angle.
Old 02-17-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Which DVD do you have arriving?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-17-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9k View Post

What is the most effective body roll? Do I want my shoulders, stomach AND legs to be 90 degrees from the bottom of the pool or just my upper core? Do i want to be totally on my side or some lesser angle like 45 degrees or so? It seems like more roll would give you better "snap" but Im not sure if it would be wasted energy rolling 180 degrees from side to side...
Roll the entire body 'just enough.' Speed will impact this. You may have a sense of rocking as the kick and hip drive help to rotate the torso.
Check this out to view the movement at a leisurely pace.

Last edited by borate : 02-17-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2011

foxjohng
Default "just enough" roll

I've been experimenting with different degrees of roll. At this point, it seems to me that the amount you need to roll is governed by breathing. i.e., you need to roll enough to get to air without rotating your head out of line with your body. Does this sound right?