Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010

dobarton
Default Breathing

I know, I know... The same questions over and over, but you guys are so helpful, I'm going to ask anyway. I'm really concentrating on drills instead of distance for the time being. I was reminded in an earlier question that the more I practice inefficient swimming, the harder it will be to break the habits ingrained. In the process, I'm trying to find where my shortcomings are that cause my high SPLs. Background, I'm a relative beginner. I can swim for a very long time in a 25 m pool without difficulty, but use 22-25 strokes/25 m when doing so. I'm trying to develop the comfort and balance to use fewer strokes to decrease risk of injury AND because it's an interesting challenge.

Anyhow, the basic question (and I THINK I know the answer) is this... If I reduce my SPL to 18 (which I do seem to be able to do), I end up taking 2 fewer breaths per length (breathing every third stroke). I'm noticing that's limiting my improvement to some degree. I'm "afraid" that a SPL of 14-15 will make the problem even worse. I assume that the answer for now is to breath every other stroke instead of every third and alternate sides for each length, but I was really getting comfortable with alternate side breathing. Does this get easier with practice? And what about as you go faster and your body requests more oxygen to get the work done?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2010

westyswoods

Prior to TI I was bilateral with an SPL well into the 20's. It has taken two plus years to get down to 16-18 and not feeling like I am out of air. I needed to focus on one side breathing and did it in a bilateral fashion. Going down breath right coming back breath left as time has passed I have found that the bilateral breathing is coming back. I may switch sides in mid lap or do an actual bilateral sequence in spurts. I am not there yet but am getting closer.

You are correct in your assumption that the drop in SPL reduces your ability to breathe it just takes time to develop the efficiency. For some of us much longer than others but it will come.

It will work just be patient and seek continued improvement.

Westy
Old 05-01-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

DOB
No need to aim for 14-15 SPL in 25m. Progressing from an SPL of, say 24, to one of 17-18 over the course of 6 months would be admirable progress - and would allow you to adapt more easily to the differing breath rhythm.

One easy way to do so is use a Tempo Trainer and gradually/incrementally slow the Tempo. Your SPL should drift almost effortlessly lower as you slow the tempo. I suggest you start with aTempo of 1.20 sec/stroke and see what your SPL is at that tempo. Then go to 1.21, 1.22, etc. At 1.30, how many fewer strokes are you taking? Etc.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-01-2010

daveblt

My problem is that I have got so used to swimming long stroke TI freestyle over many years that my average stroke count for 25 yards is 11 .If I try to add more strokes per length to get more breaths per length it feels as if my arms are actually moving a little too fast but I only end up doing 13 strokes and then it feels as if all my efficiency, the long body , patient hand, casual easy stroke is no longer there to the same effect just by adding 2 strokes .I seem to run into oxygen debt and probably need to add more strokes and/or breathe more often but want to stay efficient without arm churning or at least that feeling of doing so. Any suggestions ?

Dave
Old 05-02-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Just a thought here...if your stroke count comes down, it's an indication that you are moving more easily through the water...this requires less energy, less oxygen consumption and less carbon dioxide waste product (the CO2 waste is what causes the urge to breath).

So as your stroke count comes down, you won't NEED to breath as often.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-03-2010

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Just a thought here...if your stroke count comes down, it's an indication that you are moving more easily through the water...this requires less energy, less oxygen consumption and less carbon dioxide waste product (the CO2 waste is what causes the urge to breath).

So as your stroke count comes down, you won't NEED to breath as often.

Thanks for the reply .At this low of a stroke count it seems breathing every other stroke is a lot better for swimming any kind of distance however it just seems that since my face is under the water longer , I'm breathing out a lot and getting less actual breaths and have to stop more than I should to catch my breath.

Dave