Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010

Brad evans
Default 11kms Bay Swim - training advice

Hi all,

I am currently training for a bay swim in January that is 11.2kms in length (no tide assistance for this one unfortunately!). My previous longest swim was 4.5kms (tide assisted) which i really enjoyed and covered in a time of 49:31, so this latest challenge is a real step up in length and lunacy!! I'm hoping to cover the swim in around 3:15-3:45 depending on conditions etc.

My questions to swimmers who have swam this length or longer are:

1) How would you advise i approach my pool training to best prepare for a long swim? (In addition to open water swims that i'll do on Saturday mornings closer to the time when the water heats up - My regular lake course is 4km-6km in length depending on which markers).

2) How often would you advise i stop during the event to drink/eat? Base it off my anticipated completion time of 3 hours, 30 minutes? The last thing i want is to hit the wall and not finish due to nutrition and dehydration!

3) Would it be a risk to start a little hard in order to draft for a while??

Nb. I have completed about a dozen ocean swim events so I know not to get too carried away with the start gun etc. Also, this is a piloted swim.
Old 04-26-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad evans View Post
Hi all,

I am currently training for a bay swim in January that is 11.2kms in length (no tide assistance for this one unfortunately!). My previous longest swim was 4.5kms (tide assisted) which i really enjoyed and covered in a time of 49:31, so this latest challenge is a real step up in length and lunacy!! I'm hoping to cover the swim in around 3:15-3:45 depending on conditions etc.

My questions to swimmers who have swam this length or longer are:

1) How would you advise i approach my pool training to best prepare for a long swim? (In addition to open water swims that i'll do on Saturday mornings closer to the time when the water heats up - My regular lake course is 4km-6km in length depending on which markers).

2) How often would you advise i stop during the event to drink/eat? Base it off my anticipated completion time of 3 hours, 30 minutes? The last thing i want is to hit the wall and not finish due to nutrition and dehydration!

3) Would it be a risk to start a little hard in order to draft for a while??

Nb. I have completed about a dozen ocean swim events so I know not to get too carried away with the start gun etc. Also, this is a piloted swim.
Brad let me just state for the record that I hate you!!!!!!!!! Just kidding I am jealous that you get to do that 11K before an unassisted tidal swim I have planned for next year. That being said, I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1) I would suggest doing interval training in the pool using a tempo trainer would be a good idea to increase your stroke rate and see if you can reach the other end with the same or fewer strokes than at a moderate pace.

2) Yes, please feed while training! In open water 45 minutes the first feed and 30 every subsequent one after that. Experiment with what works and what doesn't with respect to your feeds during longer training swims. You may well get away with something that has electrolytes in it, but you may ant to see what products like Maxim etc can help you replace the carbs you'll be burning up.

3) Charging out hard at first isn't a bad idea if you have that sort of speed, then you can go into a 2BK mode and keep pace with the other leaders in the pack. If drafting is allowed then do it, use whatever advantage you can get!

Hope my suggestions are useful to you and best of luck on the swim. I have so many Aussie open water swim friends a great bunch of folks that have helped me so much in my own ow experience. Keep up the great work Brad!

Naji
Old 04-29-2010

Brad evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Brad let me just state for the record that I hate you!!!!!!!!! Just kidding I am jealous that you get to do that 11K before an unassisted tidal swim I have planned for next year.
Ha... well it'll be an interesting one i'm sure! It'll be an amazing feeling to finish it, should that be the outcome!

I ordered a tempo trainer yesterday. Looking forward to working with it, especially hearing how integral it is to Terry's training (and in reading his blog - post Tampa marathon about training with it).

Thanks for your thoughts Naj!

Brad.