Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010

dobarton
Default Newbie

Greetings,
I've been lurking a while now, but now am coming out of my shell. Unfortunately, turtles swim better than I do.
I've been swimming as an alternative to running (blew out a knee last summer) for about 8 months now. Easily swim 4500 in an hour and a half freestyle, 25m pool. Having said that, I believe most of my lengths are done at 20-22 strokes/25 m which isn't really improving despite practice.
Trying to "get" TI. I have watched the video once and studied the book more. Awaiting my own copy of the DVD now.
Quick questions. First, I was reading the other day about tucking in the chin to assist in looking down while swimming. I've discovered that if I consciously look down, I have trouble rolling far enough to my left side up to catch a breath without water. When I do roll far enough, I feel like I "lose my balance."
Second, unless I consciously think about being straight in the water, I find my lower torso weaving a little. If I concentrate hard on the lower torso, I think I'm keeping aligned. I find this is a little easier if I concentrate on keeping my stroke shoulder width, but not a lot easier. I also find it gets much worse if I roll too far.
I've enjoyed the feedback that others have given and recieved, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2010

georgedoty

Hi Dobarton,
Struggling with same issues myself. Sounds like we swim about the same speed. I got my stroke count down from 21 to 17 or 18 / 25m or 15 to 16 per 25 yd. As for the wagging torso, I found Terry's "laser" concept to really help, when I think about the laser line out the top of my head, I feel the torso stays straighter. I find the addition of a swim cap to be quite an asset, as my head feels much more bouyant and breaths much easier to catch. Also, turning the head earlier in the recovery seems to be a big help. Now to my challenge. The two beat kick. Have you any tips on kicking with the left foot while spearing with the right arm?
George
Old 04-26-2010

naj

With respect to your head position you do not need to "tuck your chin" to keep your head down. This will cause you to tense up and make you begin to sink causing you to struggle to roll and get air. Let your head hang naturally in the water of its own weight. This is the right head position. You may want to do the Superman Glide drill to find more comfort in the water. It is the very first drill on the DVD. As for your breathing one thing I can offer is to remember that you want your body to act as one unit. As your body rotates your head stays fixed, but on the time you want to go to air roll your whole body and let your head go along for the ride. There is a drill in the DVD called the nodding drill that will help with this.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 04-26-2010
Banned

Lawrence

You may be thinking a little too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobarton View Post
Greetings,
First, I was reading the other day about tucking in the chin to assist in looking down while swimming. I've discovered that if I consciously look down, I have trouble rolling far enough to my left side up to catch a breath without water. When I do roll far enough, I feel like I "lose my balance."
Second, unless I consciously think about being straight in the water, I find my lower torso weaving a little. If I concentrate hard on the lower torso, I think I'm keeping aligned. I find this is a little easier if I concentrate on keeping my stroke shoulder width, but not a lot easier. I also find it gets much worse if I roll too far.
I've enjoyed the feedback that others have given and recieved, so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Any thoughts?
1. Don't tuck the chin in. Just relax the neck and let the water support the head. You don't need to look down 'consciously'. If you find this makes it hard to breathe, check whether you're skating on wide tracks. The issue is probably there rather than to do with head position.

2. Losing balance while rolling again suggests you're not skating on wide tracks. The wide tracks thing is, in my view, the hardest thing to 'get' but once got it solves most problems.

3. Weaving again suggests you're not spearing forwards but instead either outwards or inwards. If it gets worse when you roll more that (yet!) again suggests you're spearing off the tracks.
Old 04-26-2010

cmperkins

Hi Dobarton,

As another newbie I thought I'd add my perspective. Swimming those long distances for eight months your existing stroke will be really ingrained (I'm assuming it hasn't been eight months of TI practice?)

I too was hoping I could just watch the DVD and 'get' TI but I've learned it takes patience (something I'm not very good at!) I've got a TI book too, but the DVD works better for me. I watch the lesson I'm going to drill just before heading out to a swim, pretty much every time. It's helped me in the water being able to recall Terry's movements fairly accurately and trying to emulate them.

I think the most common advice for newbies is to do short sets of drills and even shorter sets of whole stroke, trying to integrate the new skill, not repeat old habits. Seems to be working for me. Don't try to do it all at once, the drill sequence really does seem to help with a methodical progression and imprinting new techniques.

Good luck! And keep posting your progress and asking questions. This is such a friendly and responsive forum - thanks everyone!!

Chris.

Last edited by cmperkins : 04-26-2010 at 11:08 PM.