Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010

johnny.widen
Default Please, don't use acronyms!

I really love this forum, there is so much information and people seems to love to communicate their insights and thoughts about Total Immersion Swimming. There are so many experts that follow my own motto: 'Live as you preach'. This forum is just awesome!

BUT
the main purpose when you write text for others to read, is to communicate some idea and it is important to be as clear as possible and to make it easy for the reader to understand. When reading a text it is a great advantage if it can be read with a flow. So you don't have to stop and wonder what is meant. An easy way to create many such stops is to use acronyms.

When people write about Total Immersion, acronyms seems to be as popular as in the telecom industry - in which I have worked. I used to call people acronymics because they seem to be addicted to use acronyms, ;-)

I really don't know what the real gain of using acronyms is. To me it is only confusing.

There are tons of examples in this forum. Just to pick a few:

Some times ago I saw the acronym IM in this forum. IM in my world is Instant Messaging, which I soon realized wasn't meant here. Searching in http://www.acronymslist.com I found the medical term Intramuscular. Could it be that? We use to talk about muscle memory... No, it didn't make sense. I then looked at another site http://www.abbreviations.com/IM and found Individual Medley. Very likely to make sense... but, probably not! I eventually decided that it meant Ironman and now I could follow the text. I am still not quite sure if it is Ironman. This was hardly a flow reading experience.

And http://www.abbreviations.com/TT never heard of Tempo Trainer, so you have to search elsewhere.

The same thing with EVF: http://www.abbreviations.com/EVF gives nothing relevant.

Then I remembered that http://www.totalimmersion.net/ has a search function:
Searching for IM: Error Search Again
Searching for TT: Error Search Again
Searching for EVF: Search Keyword EVF Total: 0 results found.
I thought I just had to try TI
Searching for TI: Error Search Again
Hmmm, I suspect that the search engine expect more than two characters, which of course the error message should have said...

I also saw AP once and I manage to take that one, but OP, that I saw once, beats me.

Could you tell me why acronyms are so popular when it comes to Total Immersion? When carving text in stones I can imaging a real gain, but using computers I cannot see the advantage. If it is considered time saving even on computers, an easy thing is to use the acronym while writing and then replace all occurrences with the whole expression. At the end of the day, it is most often only one writer and hopefully many readers of a text. The focal point should be on the writer to take the effort to be as clear as possible! Let's all strive for effortless reading in prior to effortless writing. ;-)

You might understand my frustration: I am working at LTU with IT and in the pool with TI. :-)

PDUA!

-- Johnny
Old 12-26-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Johnny
Oops. You'll find the acronym HTFU in Chap 3 of my book, The Grownup's Guide to Swimming Fast. I did spell it out . . . mostly. For the F, I had to use some symbols.

You make a good point though. When I read IM I instinctively think "Individual Medley." A triathlete would think Ironman.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-26-2010

AWP

Johnny

I also get the message and am totally guilty of acronym use. I do however see an expressive use, with explanation of course (as you mention).
I'll definitely make a concerted effort to comply.
Btw, I did get PDUA. : )
Old 12-26-2010

Richardsk

OP means original post or original poster and is common on bulletin boards devoted to all sorts of subjects. IM can mean Individual Medley and usually does when it's a swimming forum. PM means personal message. There may be hundreds of others such as DYOR do your own research (on investment boards usually) IMO in my opinion, IMHO in my humble opinion. HTH hope this helps and many, many others.

HTFU, which is not a common visitor to this forum, is presumably modeled on the well known expression Shut the Hell Up, with the now frequent substitution of the f*** word for Hell, which has lost its power to shock, it seems. It seems the F word is losing its power to shock as well.

Other much used expressions here are EVF, early vertical forearm, 2BK two-beat kick, SG Superman Glide and SF Superman Flutter.

Perhaps there ought to be a glossary as a "stickie" somewhere. Or we could all write in plain English, in whatever variety. The spell checker keeps correcting my British spelling, but I don't really mind. American spelling is more logical in many ways.

When automated translation improves enough, if it ever does, we could write in any language we chose and it would appear in English as well.

That would be fun.
Old 12-27-2010

kueli

I also hate acronyms. I agree that the costs of the potential confusion that they can create are huge and their gains in time saved are trivial. For example, I did not get the meaning of PDUA. What does it stand for: Physical Drill Under Arms, Property Derivatives Users Association or Party for the Democratic Unification of Albania? :-)
Old 12-27-2010

MarkkuS

Don't forget that many readers here don't have English as their native language, making acronyms harder to understand.

Last edited by MarkkuS : 12-27-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2010

westyswoods
Default Unfortunate but sign of the times

Being an original boomer who has not evolved with ease into the new communications world, I could not agree more with what has been written. The use will not disappear, so lets try to lessen it.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 01-06-2011

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kueli View Post
I also hate acronyms. I agree that the costs of the potential confusion that they can create are huge and their gains in time saved are trivial. For example, I did not get the meaning of PDUA. What does it stand for: Physical Drill Under Arms, Property Derivatives Users Association or Party for the Democratic Unification of Albania? :-)
PDUA = Please, Don't Use Acronyms

:-)

-- Johnny
Old 03-17-2011

splashingpat
Default Happy St. PAT's Day to all at Total Immersion Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.widen View Post
PDUA = Please, Don't Use Acronyms

:-)

-- Johnny
Hi guys....
Hope you are enjoying the day, your swimming technique, and I hope you
are truly enjoying swimming without any input from the Lifeguards and
trying to critique THE TOTAL IMMERSION STYLE..

one to one kitty!
Sasha my sweetheart
Siomese had a massive lump in her throat

any clues why this happen?
a vet in the house?
Old 03-17-2011

Richardsk

Hi Pat

Happy St Patrick's day to you too.

Your cat probably needs to see a real live vet. Throat lumps are not good.