Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013

Grant
Default TI at the higher end of the life cycle

I would like to lay out some of my experiences of being in my upper 70’s and having practiced TI for approximately 14 years. I began swimming at age 58 after being advised by Dr to stop running. Had been able to swim since I was 7 but never swam farther than 50 yards at a time. So began swimming in earnest when I was 58 and for six years I splashed my way up and down the pool and got into Masters swimming meets which were fun. Then I came across TI and started to smooth out the strokes and for about 11 years my times got faster and I set some provincial and a few national records for my age group. Then came the year of my 75th birthday. That was the year they outlawed full body suits and I found out later my testosterone blood levels had got down to the low of normal range. Though practicing the same amount and as eagerly my times have gone up each year.
What is great is that by holding these results in the context of Kaizen I am not discouraged or disgruntled, rather the thought of continual improvement results in every practice being a source of enjoyment and pleasure. So what if I am slower I am aiming to swim at the best I can be at that moment. It's that being in the now thing.
Finding Terry, TI and this forum has resulted in me finding a smooth road to swim down and live on for the rest of my days. There is a lot of joy to be experienced in the days to come.
I wanted to express these thoughts as there are many new swimmers and participants in TI who are starting the journey and the focus is understandably on improvement. When the time comes that the timing devices appear to have slowed down there is still a wonderful chance of improvement in other areas.
All the best to you all.
Old 01-13-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I would like to lay out some of my experiences of being in my upper 70’s and having practiced TI for approximately 14 years. I began swimming at age 58 after being advised by Dr to stop running. Had been able to swim since I was 7 but never swam farther than 50 yards at a time. So began swimming in earnest when I was 58 and for six years I splashed my way up and down the pool and got into Masters swimming meets which were fun. Then I came across TI and started to smooth out the strokes and for about 11 years my times got faster and I set some provincial and a few national records for my age group. Then came the year of my 75th birthday. That was the year they outlawed full body suits and I found out later my testosterone blood levels had got down to the low of normal range. Though practicing the same amount and as eagerly my times have gone up each year.
What is great is that by holding these results in the context of Kaizen I am not discouraged or disgruntled, rather the thought of continual improvement results in every practice being a source of enjoyment and pleasure. So what if I am slower I am aiming to swim at the best I can be at that moment. It's that being in the now thing....
Thanks for this Grant. The later life experience of physical activity, where the line of increasing ability is offset by that of decreasing capacity, is something society turns a shamefully blind eye toward. We can't escape "that Old Man River, he just keeps rolling along" - as the song says, so the fear and rejection only turns against ourselves in the end.

You got back into swimming at 58 and, without TI, six years later were in masters meets. That's some accomplishment in itself so I am suspecting you are a lifelong athlete, which changes the game of ability vs. capacity as aging progresses. Then, at 64 right, you took up TI, and THEN started setting records?? I'd like to hear more about this progression. You started off doing 50m's so where had you got to without TI ?!

On your 75th you got not so good medical data but still your results improved. Is that right? What are the areas you found you continued to improve in?

I started TI something over a year ago and although I feel I have progressed a long way I am impatient. All the sand may move at the same speed through the egg timer but when there is only a little sand left it certainly seems like it's going faster! At the moment I feel I have plateau'd and wonder if and how you have encountered and dealt with these.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 01-14-2014

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Thanks for this Grant. The later life experience of physical activity, where the line of increasing ability is offset by that of decreasing capacity, is something society turns a shamefully blind eye toward. We can't escape "that Old Man River, he just keeps rolling along" - as the song says, so the fear and rejection only turns against ourselves in the end.

You got back into swimming at 58 and, without TI, six years later were in masters meets. That's some accomplishment in itself so I am suspecting you are a lifelong athlete, which changes the game of ability vs. capacity as aging progresses. Then, at 64 right, you took up TI, and THEN started setting records?? I'd like to hear more about this progression. You started off doing 50m's so where had you got to without TI ?!

On your 75th you got not so good medical data but still your results improved. Is that right? What are the areas you found you continued to improve in?

I started TI something over a year ago and although I feel I have progressed a long way I am impatient. All the sand may move at the same speed through the egg timer but when there is only a little sand left it certainly seems like it's going faster! At the moment I feel I have plateau'd and wonder if and how you have encountered and dealt with these.
Hi Talvi
Not sure I can fully ansewer your queries Talvi as I haven't documented my journey in detail. Quickly, I came into swimming in very good cardiovascular shape because I had run 10K to marathons for twenty years. My swimming as a youth had been strictly short intense lengths which were fairly fast but I was dead after 25 yards. It took about a year until I was comfortable swimming 100 meters. After about two years I began going to Master swim meets. These are fun and the spirit of competition is intense during the swim and fun before and after. Over the next several years I got so I could race up to 200m. In case you don't know the age groups are for example 60-64, 65-69, 70-74 and on up and of course beginning at 20-24. So every five years one becomes the young pup and five years later the old man. By the time I was 65 I had been swimming about 7 years and the times were coming down. Then I found TI and have been applying Terry's teachings ever since. As I compete on the average of three times a year there is lots of time to work on nuances and no need to rush yet it keeps me motivated.
The best results came in the 70-74 period as the TI learning came into play. This last period the 75-79 has seen a significant slowing of times as I said before because of a combination of low testosterone levels and not being able to race in the full body suits. The experts say the suits helped up to two percent in time reduction. I have found I enjoy the longer events now. Like the 400, 800 and 1500. I seem to like the slower rhythms of these distances and really have to gear up to swim the shorter distances.
So now the focus is to continue tweaking things so I can swim the best I can right now. For me it really helps to experience life as ever successive moments of now and enjoy the trip.
To summarize, my approach was not a tight linear learning program but I guess you could call it more of an organic one all the time zeroed in on TI teachings
My thoughts on plateaus are to keep looking for little tweets and as many have said on the forum "love or embrace the plateau".
Good luck and best wishes on your journey

Last edited by Grant : 01-14-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
...My thoughts on plateaus are to keep looking for little tweets and as many have said on the forum "love or embrace the plateau".
Good luck and best wishes on your journey
Thanks Grant, and you answered it all. I was also thinking about what you said above, and was trying "embracing the plateau" today too.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov