Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017
lolly55

Default Releasing air between breaths

Does it matter if you blow bubbles through your mouth instead of your nose? Thank you.
Old 09-01-2017
liolio

As long as it get the JOB done... Damned after 'my left hand get tired faster" (or something close) thread I can no longer resist my bias toward dirty minded and lame jokes... sorry but lol
Old 09-01-2017

WFEGb

Hello lolly55,

you should exhale in a way you can stay or become most possible relaxed even in your face... More an individual decision than general receipt...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-02-2017

Janos

Exhaling through your nose is safer, especially when tumble turning. it is also seems to encourage a more diaphragmatic inhalation afterwards, which will regulate your breathing and stop you from gasping for breaths.
Old 09-04-2017
lolly55

Default Thank you!

I appreciate all your advice. Thank you for responding. I'm not just a new TI swimmer, but a new swimmer. In November I could only do the "doggy paddle". I started learning how to swim at the YMCA in January or February.
Old 09-05-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Most swimmers breathe out through their nose, but it really doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done.

The main thing you need to be careful of if you're breathing out through your nose is not to exhale all of the air before your nose reaches the surface. If you do, you may instinctively try to inhale and end up inhaling water instead of air, which can be unpleasant!

Bob
Old 09-11-2017

WFEGb

Hello,

just back in town, found Terry wrote an answer in his blog, always worth to be read.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 09-12-2017

sclim

About 2 years ago I experienced what I remember was a dramatic insight when I learned that very slow relaxed nose trickle-exhalation carefully timed to finish about the time I needed to take the next breath was vary calming against the near-panic and short of breath sensation that I often felt. It seemed to work like magic, (I discovered it just before my first half IronMan race and the improvement in my water comfort was dramatic). I remember working on it a lot after that, and experimenting with different methods of regulating that calm slow stream of bubbles from my nostrils.

Then I kind of stopped thinking about it, so I guess I must have integrated it well, because I must have started doing it naturally.

However recently, I have started getting short of breath again, so I'm not sure what's happening. Perhaps I'm pushing too many parameters at once, and I'm tensing up again. I remember briefly thinking about this last week when I noticed I was short of breath and panicking a little because I wanted to breathe and it wasn't time yet (oh, yes, now I remember, I was trying to establish a one breath in 4 strokes while breathing on my uncomfortable left side), and now that I remember, at that moment I was holding my breath a little, rather than letting a long slow trickle out. I may need to go back to square one and re-learn this from the start and think specifically about this as a focus.
Old 09-13-2017

novaswimmer

Here's a good little primer on breathing...and breathing mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDRmpS8N5s

Not TI, but still helpful.
Old 09-14-2017
cc311206

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
About 2 years ago I experienced what I remember was a dramatic insight when I learned that very slow relaxed nose trickle-exhalation carefully timed to finish about the time I needed to take the next breath was vary calming against the near-panic and short of breath sensation that I often felt. ........
i echoed Sclim's comments. i have been struggling with breathing for many months which prevented me from making a 25m length. It was until i discovered the slow relaxed nose trickle exercise recently which helped me get over the hurdle. Since then, i could take on a 25m length without much difficulty.