Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Default What is the Arena Freestyle Breather?

When searching for a new pair of goggles, I came across this piece of equipment that I am not sure how it is used. I know it is attached to goggles, but I am not sure what it does when swimming.

https://www.arenaswimwearstore.com/a...her-clear.html

Prior to posting this thread, I tried finding my answer on Arena's website but did not find anything, so I thought I would ask if anyone in the TI forums would know. Would it actually be beneficial for trying to improve my freestyle?
Old 10-13-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation

Thatís a training aid thatís new to me. If you click on ďdetails,Ē thereís a YouTube video that explains its use and benefits.

https://youtu.be/ZNUNUG9y3N4

Itís not something that Iíd use. It's odd looking so it's going to get some strange looks from other swimmers and itíll be a conversational starter.
Old 10-13-2015
michaelmarshall5030

Thanks for that link and information...

It looks interesting, and something which I might try once I actually get the mechanics of my stroke down with the swimmer's snorkel.
Old 10-15-2015

Zenturtle

WOW, thats a clever idea for the in-between swimmer.!
Getting the same easy breath at fairly low speed that you get at high speed.
Dont think it will be a huge succes though.
It looks pretty scary. Maybe also in transparant material?

And guess who is promoting/explaining it? Terrys great friend Alain windmilling Bernard HA HA

During a breath, this speed creates a wave that passes under the face and makes it easier to inhale. Beginners often push down rather than bringing the water behind them. This improper movement brings them down while they are trying to take a breath, and the result is a mouthful of water," explains Alain Bernard, Olympic champion in the 100m freestyle event and Arena consultant.
Related Stories

Aerobic fitness linked to long-term memory, study suggests
What a 98-year-old fitness instructor can teach about the power of exercise

The Arena Freestyle Breather aims to remedy this problem. Swimmers simply place the training aid under their goggles so that the two fins are positioned on both sides of their nose and mouth. When the head is rotated, the fins push the water to create an air pocket, making it easier to take a breath of dry air. Arena notes that the accessory can be worn with most types of swimming

Still think its a clever idea though.
Is only a shame they didnt made a one piece item with a bridge over the nose that also acts as a water spoiler to make it more sturdy and divert water over the nose too.
Now its flapping al over the face probably.
So sad to see good ideas go to waiste because of poor execution.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 10-15-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Terrys great friend Alain windmilling Bernard HA HA
vs Jason drafting Lezak ;)
Old 10-15-2015

Zenturtle

Its has been tested a bit in Holland too
Google translate:

Marcel Wouda "The Freestyle Breather will hopefully be a good tool for triathletes because they are normally very stiff and tense in the water Every substance that helps them to relax and be able to maintain a better position during the freestyle. will bring benefits to them. "

During the Swim Cup in Eindhoven Freestyle Breather was exclusively introduced to coaches and trainers through workshops and they got the opportunity to test the training tool. The reactions were very positive, the Freestyle Breather was indeed perceived as an additional training tool for their group of novice swimmers. Associations will in the second half of this year also get the opportunity to test the Freestyle Breather during a free clinic by an expert Arena. Also, the association may purchase an introductory package. More information about the clinics, how you can register for this club and the Freestyle Breather introduction package will follow shortly.

mixed reviews.
Some get water flowing between device an cheek. The hard plastic doesnt seal too well offcourse and doesnt feel very nice I can imagine.
A positive review
http://www.arenawaterinstinct.com/en...sarah-maxwell/

Last edited by Zenturtle : 10-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.