Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009

jverrast
Default Lesson 1 - I can float and kick but I never move. No propulsion

Hi Folks
Yea, I'm a newbie. I actually tried the lessons last January after I got the book for Christmas and I was able to get up to lesson 3 where you have to turn underwater. But anyway I was certainly able to move up and down the pool per Lesson 1. Now I try it and I don't feel as though I'm sinking, try adjusting my head, kick slow, kick fast, pressing my buoy, although I never feel my hips get lighter. So I'm there on my back relaxing, kicking, not moving an inch. What am I doing wrong?
Old 11-05-2009

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jverrast View Post
Hi Folks
Yea, I'm a newbie. I actually tried the lessons last January after I got the book for Christmas and I was able to get up to lesson 3 where you have to turn underwater. But anyway I was certainly able to move up and down the pool per Lesson 1. Now I try it and I don't feel as though I'm sinking, try adjusting my head, kick slow, kick fast, pressing my buoy, although I never feel my hips get lighter. So I'm there on my back relaxing, kicking, not moving an inch. What am I doing wrong?
I'm also a total n00b, but what happens when you go into deep water and kick vertically? Can you keep your head above water without using your hands?
Old 11-07-2009

jverrast
Default I can move great face down, but on my back I just idle...

So today when I was getting frustrated at still not going anywhere I remembered what I read last night in the book. That sometimes people have trouble doing some drills and can skip ahead and eventually they will master them. So I tried face down, hands at my sides, held my breath and was able to move really well just kicking. So that made me feel a little better. But I can't understand how I don't move when I'm doing this on my back. Could really use a tip here.
Old 11-07-2009

daveblt

Some people don't get much out of the kick because of poor ankle flexibility or you just may be too tense and not kicking properly . First make sure you feel balanced and relaxed on your back so you not struggling .Then keep the legs loose and kick from your hips and not from your knees .The legs should only bend slightly as you start the upbeat and stay fairly straight and toned the rest of the time .

Dave
Old 11-07-2009

jverrast

Dave, thanks for the tip. I'm a runner, recovering from a stress fracture in my third metatarsal in my left foot. So I've been walking funny in my podiatrist supplied "boot" for 3 weeks and maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe I'm subconsciously babying the left foot. I feel pretty relaxed and I know I'm not sinking because, even though I'm not moving, well actually maybe I'm just moving slightly backwards, because i'm at the low end of the pool and every now and then my toes touch the stainless steel gutter, so my legs are up there and I seem to be very much in line with the lane dividing rope. Do I have to flex - or is it point? - my feet more? Was telling my wife about it and she said maybe my heels are just going up and down and I'm not stretching the feet out.
Thanks again for your help. I'll give it a try Monday. I go at lunch mon, wed, fri at the local pool.
have a good weekend
Joe
Old 11-07-2009

daveblt

You want to try to point them toward the wall you are swimming away from but not to a point where they are too rigid. In other words keep the ankles loose so they can flex and keep the leg fairly straight and toned with the movement originating from the hips .

Dave
Old 11-07-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Vertical Kicking

There's an interesting phenomenon that happens in vertical kicking. Some denser swimmers feel the sink coming in as they do it, others keep pretty steady. But sometimes a weaker kick is easier to keep afloat with because they are stomping downwards.
The best thing to do in checking your kick is to do some vertical and have a buddy watch it underwater. Actually, the BEST thing is something we discovered last week at practice...

We have swim mirrors to play with- an old Finis product- and they're great for checking position during drilling and swimming and encourage swimmers to face down. We set one up on the wall so vertical kickers could see where they were positioning both their legs and their pelvis (many former bad kickers still keep the pelvis tucked). Instant observation and correction.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 11-07-2009

westyswoods

Coach Dave,

Many bad swimmers still keep pelvis tucked. Explanation please.

Westy
Old 11-07-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Jverrast
Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a generous spirit of support and sharing here.
One point that has been made many times on different threads here is that the book is great for learning the big ideas and from becoming acquainted with focal points -- thoughts to be applied while swimming whole stroke. Many people swim much better from applying them.
The book --or any book -- is not quite as effective for learning advanced movement skills, as words and line drawings are insufficient for communicating critical subtleties. As well the drills in the book reflect the way we taught when the book was last updated, in 2001.
The TI learning method has gone through three iterations since then (we generally consolidate updates every 3 years or so in a new DVD) each of which has been designed to address aspects with which we saw people struggling. The method has become far less kick-and-buoyancy dependent.
For a visual guide and a more current series of skill drills, there's the Easy Freestyle DVD.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 11-07-2009

jverrast

Thanks, Terry. I already have the DVD on order and am looking forward to it.
I'm also a little disappointed that the only workshop in CT is happening right now. Maybe next year.