Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009

bnichols4
Default Kettlebell

Does anyone use kettlebells in their work outs? Talking to some friends that have told me its a great cadio work out and excellent for swimmers. Anyone have an opinon or experince with the use of kettelbells?
Old 11-30-2009

wgood

I've been using kettlebells in 30min classes that I do before Brazillian Jiu Jitsu classes but I am also swimmer. I think its a great workout and it can be complementary for swimmers in that it works the core muscles and requires both explosive and endurance. Its important to be careful and use a weight that is heavy enough that you have to use your whole body but not so heavy that you pull muscles.
Old 02-24-2010

scrummaster

I use kettlebells as well--great workout. I took a one-hour lesson from a kettlebell coach to learn all of the basic swings and jerks. It really gets your cardiovascular going, and it's more of a full-body workout than just weight lifting. Check out 'Enter the Kettlebell.' That guy is considered the guru of kettlebell coaches.

The rule-of-thumb I was told is that a 35lb kettlebell is all you need if you bench press under 200 pounds.
Old 02-25-2010

Edd78

I watched some videos of kettlebell and even though it seems like a nice global workout, it also seems there is a big potential for injuries (either joints/back from the weights themselves) or through improper use.
However I noticed that some of the introduction exercice seem to help build up hip and arm thrust power, so there is definately some use for swimming.
Old 02-25-2010

Bill Garelick
Default Kettlebell Training

As a triathlete, swimmer and kettlebell instructor, I can tell you, kettlebell training is truly one of the best forms of strength and conditioning I can think of. Some key elements of kettlebell training are:

Hip Flexibility - which is increases with swings, figure 8's, slingshots and snatches

Ability To Gererate Power- the ability to keep the hips neutral (like swimming), knees locked and driving (rooting) the heals into the ground

Shoulder Mobility- Hip positioning has a direct relationship to shoulder mobility. The more neutal the hips, the more the lats will be stretched out. The lats are responsible for shoulder flexion and extension, not the deltoids. Think of Overhead presses / Shoulder presses as "back" exercises and not shoulder exercises. To prove this, press a heavy kettlebell or dumbbell over head and hold it. Your back muscles (lats) and obliques will give out before your shoulder ever will.

Kettlebell training is metabolic conditioning or "met-con", meaning you will go into anaerobic threshold during high repitition lifts and the balistic movements of the workout. If you have any questions, please feel free to respond back.

Bill Garelick
Old 02-26-2010

bnichols4
Default Kettlebell Training

I have decided to hire a coach to help with Kettlebells, the technique is key to success. Thanks to everyone for their help!