Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018
Mushroomfloat

yeah! squeeze your 2nd blow hole ;-)
Old 08-04-2018
dubdub

Hello everyone,

I went back to implement some of the ideas. I didn't take the fins so I wouldn't be tempted. I did superman glides for about 30 mins and added kicks after that. Here are my observations -
1. During the superman glide, initially the feet did sink within about 10 seconds
2. After a few tries I figured that if I held a tall posture with my arms and feet completely stretched out, the legs weren't sinking as quickly. I was able to stay afloat for over 20 seconds
3. Butt clench helped with stretching out the legs/feet.
4. When I added kicks, it helped me to stay afloat longer.
5. I noticed that even when I was kicking from my knees, I was still staying afloat and infact moving along further. I even experienced the glide like I did when i had the fins on.

Note that through 1 - 5, my feet were not sinking as badly and I was able to maintain a streamlined posture, by and large.

6. Lastly when I tried to inhale by turning my body sideways and putting face back in the water, I noticed that my feet were beginning to sink and hit the floor. (I believe this is where the fins helped by accentuating the kicks and helping my body stay streamlined)

So, based on this drill, I see I can stay afloat but at the same time no. 6 tells me that I need to practice being able to inhale/exhale while remaining in a straight line.

What should I do from this point on?

Dubdub
Old 08-04-2018

novaswimmer

'...when I tried to inhale by turning my body sideways...'

Of course, it's impossible to see what you are doing without a video. So I'm not sure we can help much.

When you are trying to breathe, is that in full stroke? Or still drills?

In full stroke, as I prepare to breathe, I turn by body roughly 45°. Then I turn my head roughly another 45°. This allows my head to face at 90° from the bottom of the pool (more or less). When I started out learning to breathe, it was more like 100 to 110° from the bottom of the pool, and I gradually learned to reduce the angle.

If you turn your whole body sideways, it is called being 'stacked' and you will sink -- or at least I DO! But maybe you didn't mean 90° sideways.
Old 08-05-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

To expand a bit on what novaswimmer said:

You can simulate the core body rotation you should experience while you're swimming by standing in front of a mirror and, while keeping your nose pointed toward the mirror, rotate your core body about 45 degrees to the right. Then, while keeping your nose pointed toward the mirror, rotate your core body until it is about 45 degrees to your left (a 90 degree rotation altogether). If you keep rotating your core body back and forth between these two positions while keeping your nose pointed toward the mirror, you will be approximating the core body and head positions you should be experiencing while swimming freestyle without breathing. (The mirror, in this analogy, represents the bottom of the pool.)

If you want to simulate the core body and head positions you should experience when breathing, make the following modification (we're going to simulate breathing to your left, but if you reverse it, you will simulate breathing to your right): Stand as before, with your nose pointed toward the mirror and with your core body turned about 45 degrees to the right. But when you are rotating your core body toward the left, instead of keeping your nose pointed toward the mirror, let your head rotate with your body. Since your core body is rotating 90 degrees (from 45 degrees toward the right to 45 degrees toward the left), your nose will go from being pointed toward the mirror ("the bottom of the pool") to being pointed 90 degrees toward your left (which, if you were in the water, would be the surface of the water). In practice, you might need to rotate your head a little more toward the left to bring your nose and mouth above the water's surface, but the primary sensation would still be that the rotation of your core body about the axis of your spine is bringing your mouth and nose to the air.

What you want to be careful not to do is lift your head (since this will cause your legs to sink). Another way of looking at it is that, while it's okay to make the kind of head movements you make when you're shaking your head to say "no", you want to avoid making the kind of head movements you make when you're nodding your head to say "yes" (or, to put it differently, say yes to the "no" kind of head movements, but no to the "yes" kind of head movements).

Bob
Old 08-06-2018
Coach

CoachDavidShen

RE: CoachBobM

Perhaps this video I did will help with the exercise he describes: https://youtu.be/J5xMFIJ_TkA
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/
Old 08-07-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

Excellent video, David! Thanks!

Bob
Old 08-07-2018
dubdub

Thanks Novasimmer, CoachBob and CoachDavid. I’ll try these out and report back.

Dubdub
Old 08-15-2018
dubdub

Default Update

The Finis Rangs that I ordered a few weeks ago arrived so I haven't swam with the fins. But I did use the Rangs. I did 2 sessions of 45 minutes each. Each time, I swam with the rangs for about 25 mins. I felt better that I was not using the fins for propulsion but I realize the rangs help me stay streamlined.

The rangs help me with focusing on the rest of my stroke, my body movement and specifically my kicking. I can tell how I need to kick so legs don't sink however, I'm not able to consistently kick in that manner. I need more practice. Once I get my basics right I plan to wean myself off the rangs. I will report progress. Thanks for all your valuable suggestions and tips. I'm putting them to practice (albeit while wearing the fins).

Dubdub
Old 08-16-2018

Tom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
The Finis Rangs that I ordered a few weeks ago arrived so I haven't swam with the fins. But I did use the Rangs. I did 2 sessions of 45 minutes each. Each time, I swam with the rangs for about 25 mins. I felt better that I was not using the fins for propulsion but I realize the rangs help me stay streamlined.

The rangs help me with focusing on the rest of my stroke, my body movement and specifically my kicking. I can tell how I need to kick so legs don't sink however, I'm not able to consistently kick in that manner. I need more practice. Once I get my basics right I plan to wean myself off the rangs. I will report progress. Thanks for all your valuable suggestions and tips. I'm putting them to practice (albeit while wearing the fins).

Dubdub
If you need kicking practice/miles, you may want to try doing laps streamlined on your back. I can't stand kickboards but find on my back quite comfortable and a reasonably fast way to get to the other end of the pool.
Old 08-16-2018
Mushroomfloat

You don't want to be kicking to keep your legs / hips up

you should be able to find balance & streamline without kicking

then kick is used for stability anchoring against & as an aid to rotation

then you can move to using intermittent kicking to boost propulsion

but carry on.