Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2018

sonatul@gmail.com
Default Chlorine water drops in sinuses

My biggest problem while enjoying swim is to have pool chorine water entry in to sinuses. When I happen to inhale few drops through nose; I have very painful sensation in my brain, and causes me to be hyper ventilate for 1 or 2 minutes in middle of water.

1) Is there any remedy on this issue? How experts like Terry handle this situation?

2) Do we face similar sensation in open water which is not chlorinated?
Old 03-26-2018

WFEGb

Hello sonatul,

Quote:
1) Is there any remedy on this issue? How experts like Terry handle this situation?
Focus in blowing out a calm steady flow of air all the way your nose in water. With some routine it will become possible to hold just the right amount of pressure without running water into nose or mouth. But I'd recommend to find a soft noseclip for the longer "first steps", just to be able to put your focus into parts of your stroke than into protection of your sinuses...

Quote:
2) Do we face similar sensation in open water which is not chlorinated?
Seems your fairly sensible to that, so water running into your sinuses will generate unwanted discomfort always. When on land, you might "enjoy" having over all free sinuses (especially when you swam in salty sea). So if you want to focus in your stroke find a "comfortable" noseclip and when enjoying water, (TI-)swimming and have time enough go back to play around without the noseclip.

Many lucky strokes without water in your sinuses!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 03-26-2018

sonatul@gmail.com

Dear Werner

Many Thanks for the answer.

Please let me know if there is any trick to remove water on the "Fly", or does every one has bear the pain and continue.

Also I had second query.

1) Normally during my initial period of swimming session, I tend to blow bubbles in single "Whoop", rather than contineous stream.

When I spend some more time in water while swimming I am able to stream out the air from my lungs.

Is this the case with every swimmer?
Old 03-26-2018

WFEGb

Hello sonatul,

think there is not a special trick, more like being "familar" with the water. It's very individual. One of my students has no problems with, but when using a swimmer's snorkel he does need a noseclip to handle it. Strange but fact.

If there is something like a trick, I think the miracle is relaxation. Let the air go out smoooooothly, relax your face. It should be a feeling as showing an especially stupid facial. (Will be a great help for your stroke also.)

Quote:
1) Normally during my initial period of swimming session, I tend to blow bubbles in single "Whoop", rather than contineous stream.
Doing it some thousand times, you'll not need first "whoopp-blow-outs" any more and can start with continuously, steady soft stream integated in your whole stroke movement. In the very last moment, just when mouth is clearing surface there should be a short "whoop" to help fast and relaxed inhale...

Enjoy the experiments!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 03-26-2018
Mushroomfloat

I suffered really badly at first with uncontrollable sneezing from chlorinated water entering the sinuses, it was horrible like having the flu.

I persevered it te chlorinated pool and i seemed to build up a tollerance to it over a few monthd of swimming 3 times a week.

Obviously try not to let water get up there in their first place but it does happen.

There are also different types of chlorine in different pools

My local has proper chlorine and that one is where i got the irritation from, but there is another pool nearby which i swim at on occasion and this pool uses "salt" as a disinfectant it is actuall
Sodium Hypochloride (salt based) this is much easier on the sinuses.

Ask at your local pools what chemical they use and maybe try one that uses sodium hypochloride
Old 03-26-2018
Mushroomfloat

P.S you may find claims online of people taking anti-histamine pills (hayfever tablets etc)
to combat this problem

IMO this is to be avoided i tried it once and it excacerbated the symptoms