Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009

Thrash1
Default Adding Appropriate distances

I've just finished Swim program this month and I'm setting up my swim sets for next month. I currently swim 1500m swim sets each workout with a mix of drills, distance, and combination's depending on which day I swim. I've been adding 300m per month and incrementally working toward Olympic and HIM Tri distances for next year.

This months 1500m workouts Typically Look like this

Tech Days
3x50 Warmup(Inlucludes focused Fingertip Drill, Thumb Drill)
2x200 (Catchup or Pull) Use Yellow Stroke-maker Hand Paddles/Pull Buoy. Focused Clean Hand Entry, Full extension, Full Pull to Hip, Clean Exit by Hip, High Elbows.
2x200 (Kick) W/Fins
2x200 (SPL or Fist) No Toys..LOL. SPL:15-17 depending on my flipturn, Fist: Focused on Forearm grabbing water, Full Body Rotation on stroke. Same focus on stroke as Catchup/Pull drills.
3x50 Cooldown (Inlucludes focused Fingertip Drill, Thumb Drill)

Distance Days
4x50,100 Warmup(Inlucludes focused Fingertip Drill, Thumb Drill)
Distance 2'0" pace/100m
100,4x50 Cooldown(Inlucludes focused Fingertip Drill, Thumb Drill)

I do my Kick with fins but I really don't get much out of it, I typically Bike or Run the same day and could kick 2000m straight really not get much out of it. I would like to reduce the kick drills and add more focused swimming drills.

Each month I've add 200-300 yards in distance and my swim times keep coming down. I started at 500m and finished the sets in 30 or so minutes. Now that I'm up to 1500 I'm doing them in about the same Time when I first started.

I'm not really coached per Say(except for the TI videos) but I can self evaluate pretty well and have a good "Feel" when I'm doing something wrong, stop to evaluate the adjust and continue my sets.

I've been experimenting adding Breaststroke in my warm-ups for Variety but I'm terrified of the Butterfly. Lots of strokes but not much forward movement. LOL.

How much distance would be appropriate to add per Workout Block? Continue with adding 300 or should I be adding 500-1000?

Thanks a Bunch
Tim
Old 10-12-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

In my experience, adding distance has much less to do with injury prevention (as it does in running) than nervous system endurance. I would say you can add distances as long as you can maintain your stroke integrity.
Old 10-12-2009

naj

"I've been adding 300m per month and incrementally working toward Olympic and HIM Tri distances for next year"

Just out of curiosity are you planning on doing an Olympic or HM next year? If so, you'll eventually need to do some work in open water as well.
Old 10-12-2009

Thrash1

I've got an open water swim course laid out at the local lake that is in a cove and somewhat sheltered(No Wake Area). Easy to swim and the shoreline has camping sites dotted along the path if I get into trouble. My wife will spot me in a kayak so I'm covered both ways.

With winter coming up and temps dropping, I'm planning on getting a wetsuit to swim in and start early this spring open water swimming again. I've been swimming in open water most of the summer but distances have been limited to 150 meter loops because the one swim area is pretty small and there is no life guard and my lovely spotter can only watch from my car.

So The bulk of my Training has been in the Pool.

Speaking of Open Water: Should I also incorporate my drill sets into an open water program or just work on distance and times?

Thanks for the Reply's I appreciate everyone's insight.
Old 10-31-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Open water, training practices, etc

Definitely bring your drills to open water, and set a schedule where you'll swim out there regardless of the conditions (as long as it is safe and someone is with you). Choppy, cool, overcast days are still tri swim days and should be tri swim practice days too.

Adding volume, I'd supplement Eric's comments. If you hit a point where your stroke count starts to slip up here and there, you're probably letting a few too many bad habits sneak in there. 300 yards a month should not be a problem- most coaches advice not adding more than 10-20% per week in volume, but that's for a different level of training.

Lastly, on your distance days, the swims themselves (not the warmup or cooldown) don't have a specific technical focus on them. Remember that the distance and tempo you want to use in a race just may be the best place to play with rotating focus. I'd advise against trying to focus on the same thing over distance- I like rotating focus each buoy over a short list of two or three. It's far too easy to go 20 strokes and just assume that everything is holding together and let the mind wander.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-31-2009

Thrash1

Thanks for the input, I added 400m or 1900m total and feel like I could have added 1000m and it wouldn't have been a problem to complete. I do notice nearing the end of my sets my technique slips a bit and have to refocus. I was suprised yesterday on my cooldown where I usually do one sprint of 50 or 100 and I came into the wall so fast I missed my flip point.. Now that was Funny.

I really have been focusing on stroke efficency, quiet stroke and just feeling the water around me to be an economical swimmer. Everyone has been so helpful. TI Rocks!!!
Old 11-03-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Just remember

Most of the race is not done in a fresh state. Technical work when crowded, tired, discombobulated etc can be as important as that done with lots of rest and a lane to yourself.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com