Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Discuss Terry's Blog Posts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009

vol
Default Difference of the two TI DVD's?

What is the difference between the two DVDs-- "Freestyle: Made Easy (2007)" and "Easy Freestyle Swimming by Terry Laughlin (2008). Is the second one a revised version of the first one?
Old 09-15-2009

dave168

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
What is the difference between the two DVDs-- "Freestyle: Made Easy (2007)" and "Easy Freestyle Swimming by Terry Laughlin (2008). Is the second one a revised version of the first one?
I was about to post the same question. Anybody? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol View Post
I haven't seen the first, but from what people post, the 2007 version emphasized what would now be deemed over rotation. If you observe such TI luminaries such as Shinji Takeguchi (???), they rotate to stacked shoulders or nearly stacked shoulders. The new approach emphasizes rotating "just enough" meaning barely exposing the shoulder of the pulling arm. From what I understand, the new approach requires less time between rotations which means that it is capable of generating more speed. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides View Post
I haven't seen the first, but from what people post, the 2007 version emphasized what would now be deemed over rotation. If you observe such TI luminaries such as Shinji Takeguchi (???), they rotate to stacked shoulders or nearly stacked shoulders. The new approach emphasizes rotating "just enough" meaning barely exposing the shoulder of the pulling arm. From what I understand, the new approach requires less time between rotations which means that it is capable of generating more speed. Hope this helps.
I would describe the new rotation as more on the order of 45 degrees in either direction. But keep in mind that stacked shoulders weren't what TI taught for freestyle swimming in either DVD. It was for drilling purposes.

The idea behind stacked shoulders was that it would give you a side-to-side balance, thereby making it easier to master a position like fish or skate. The problems with this were that (1) it was easy to overrotate, and (2) it gave swimmers no practice in how to achieve side-to-side balance with the amount of rotation they were actually going to use in freestyle swimming.

Terry began experimenting with having swimmers do fish (now called core balance) and skate with less rotation, and found that it didn't seem to cause them significant problems with mastering side-to-side balance. So that became the new drilling method, and in my experience, it has worked well.

But this is certainly not the only difference in the new DVD! The new DVD begins the process of learning balance differently than the old one did. A few swimmers struggled with the old approach, but I haven't seen any swimmers have problems with the new approach. And there are some new drills that help swimmers to master a top-notch freestyle recovery and entry. I see the new one as a significant improvement over the old one. And that is not to say that the old one was bad - simply that the new one is significantly better!

Bob

Last edited by CoachBobM : 01-25-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2015
wrobertdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
A few swimmers struggled with the old approach, but I haven't seen any swimmers have problems with the new approach.

Bob
I was looking for a place to post my comments on self coaching materials from total immersion and your comment seemed as appropriate as any. I did not purchase any DVD's but rather I purchased the coaching kits that provided links to videos for download. The first kit was $19.95. It seemed more like marketing than training to me. So I was excited by the description of the later kit at $49.95, which I purchased.

In general, I have found all the videos to be frustrating and not worth the money. Why? ... Because the style of music with a few words printed on the screen did not tell me what I was looking at or looking for. Its been totally frustrating and I abandoned the whole idea of using these materials, though I am certainly sold on the swimming techniques.

Bob Davis
Old 10-04-2015

jjbeito

Coach Bob,

Thanks for your feedback on the differences between the two DVDs-- "Freestyle: Made Easy (2007)" and "Easy Freestyle Swimming by Terry Laughlin (2008). In reviewing the descriptions of each video, the early version promotes the next profession in buddy training while the latter does not. I was also curious to know if the more recent 2008 version covered the buddy system training drills as well. I just purchased happy laps and wanted to continue to build my skills while working with my buddy.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 11-10-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobertdavis View Post
a few words printed on the screen did not tell me what I was looking at or looking for. Its been totally frustrating and I abandoned the whole idea of using these materials, though I am certainly sold on the swimming techniques.
Bob
I'm sorry I didn't see your comments sooner. Did you study the Workbook that accompanies the 15 downloadable videos? If you find the music distracting, just turn the sound off. However the purpose of the on-screen titles is to serve as short-hand reminders for the far more detailed information in the Workbook.

We decided to go in this direction because it's possible to include far more comprehensive guidance in the Workbook--in the form of both text and many photos of critical positions and moments in the stroke--than would be possible in the usual voiceover on a video.

On our next release--Expert Skills--we'll probably do both.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-23-2016

lloyddinma
Default CoachStuart: wrt "breathing and the catch " 45 degmax may have come from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
I would describe the new rotation as more on the order of 45 degrees in either direction. But keep in mind that stacked shoulders weren't what TI taught for freestyle swimming in either DVD. It was for drilling purposes.

The idea behind stacked shoulders was that it would give you a side-to-side balance, thereby making it easier to master a position like fish or skate. The problems with this were that (1) it was easy to overrotate, and (2) it gave swimmers no practice in how to achieve side-to-side balance with the amount of rotation they were actually going to use in freestyle swimming.

Terry began experimenting with having swimmers do fish (now called core balance) and skate with less rotation, and found that it didn't seem to cause them significant problems with mastering side-to-side balance. So that became the new drilling method, and in my experience, it has worked well.

Bob
And then on the Perpetual Motion video, the recommendation was enough to just "clear one shoulder."

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.