Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Coach Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015

Ken B
Default To Stuart McDougal, Kick timing 101?

Remember the early TI videos. there's one of Terry's daughter swimming in the sea and she is definitely cross crawling, big 2bk. Terry has steadily retreated to a modest toe flick since.
All summer my recreational swimming is in estuarine high tide salt water. I float like an otter, could crack urchins on my stomach. I experiment with rotation and at present I am trying a full body switch from skate to skate, using my core I suppose. If I start with legs purposely held still I soon find that I am using the off leg to lever my weight shift and then as I relax into my stroke a toe flick develops. The toe flick completes the transition rather than initiates it. Is this sufficient for your 2bk?
While I've got your attention am I right in thinking that floating horizontally in salt water is the same as balance. I am aware that I kick more in freshwater to compensate for sinky legs.
I would borrow against my pension to do a weekend course but I'm on the wrong side of the equator.

Ken
Old 01-22-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Ken,

I don't think I've seen the ow video of Fiona you are referring to, so I can't comment. Not sure what you mean "cross crawling" - recovery arm crossing over in front of head?

Re: Kick. Yes the 'toe flick" completes (not initiates) the kick. Kick starts from the hip and travels through to toes. I like to use the visual: The hip is like the handle of a whip, kinetic energy travels through leg from hip and snaps through to the toes ("toe flick") like a whip - aka "swimming from the inside out". But a leg cannot "whip" and a toe cannot "flick" with tight/tense legs and ankles.

Re: Balance in salt water vs freshwater. The body is more buoyant in salt water, easier to balance (float). But you should not kick more to make up for lack of balance in fresh water (or any body of water). If legs are sinking quickly, balance is off. Learn to shift more weight in front of lungs, lengthen the vessel (extend from shoulder), most importantly, hang the head between shoulders releasing all tension in neck.

Stuart
Old 01-22-2015

Ken B

Thank you Stuart.
Fionas arms don't cross of course, but the kick seemed exaggerated.

Ken
Old 01-22-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Thank you Stuart.
Fionas arms don't cross of course, but the kick seemed exaggerated.

Ken
Hi Ken, You're welcome. Here is an excellent video of Fiona demonstrting both 2bk and 6bk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTEVkfNges

Notice very little bend in knee, kick is coming from the hip/glutes through to the toes. Fiona has a very refined, symmetrical 2bk coming from more of a competitive swim background. Also, the ability to switch between 2bk and 6bk on the fly, is quite amazing and is excellent practice for refining (2bk) kick timing.

Stuart
Old 01-23-2015

jenson1a

Question: She seems to be very low in the water--or is it just the camera angle? Also she seems to have a very deep spear and when she breathes, she raises her head and her body seems to float up to get the air.

I know this is more about the kick, but couldn't help noticing the depth of spear and how low she is in the water,

sherry
Old 01-23-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry,

Fiona looks to be swimming at an easy 1.4 to 1.45 tempo for demo purposes. She notes in the video spearing a bit deeper and being lower in water due to the turbulence from flume (the fast lane). But this is also a good demo of excellent balance at a slow tempo in "lumpy" Fast Lane conditions :-)

Stuart
Old 04-10-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hi Ken, You're welcome. Here is an excellent video of Fiona demonstrting both 2bk and 6bk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTEVkfNges

Notice very little bend in knee, kick is coming from the hip/glutes through to the toes. Fiona has a very refined, symmetrical 2bk coming from more of a competitive swim background. Also, the ability to switch between 2bk and 6bk on the fly, is quite amazing and is excellent practice for refining (2bk) kick timing.

Stuart
The exemplary kick technique is noted. For the beginner, who has so far taken it for granted that the 2 beat kick is what is best to be learned, is there any take home note as to under what conditions it might be beneficial to consider using a 6 beat kick?
Old 04-10-2015

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
For the beginner, who has so far taken it for granted that the 2 beat kick is what is best to be learned, is there any take home note as to under what conditions it might be beneficial to consider using a 6 beat kick?
Hi Sclim, if I can share my 2 cents: if I could go back a couple of years I would probably try to master 6bk first and 2bk then (or together). I think it's quite easy for a self coached beginner to learn 2bk the wrong way (eg with too much knee bend) and don't realize it. Instead I find 6bk better highlights possible flaws, because it creates more drag when not properly executed.
I also find 6bk helps at keeping the core engaged. At the moment I'm trying to swim 50% 2bk and 50% 6bk, I think this could help me improve my 2bk.

Cheers,
Salvo