Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Deep Eye Sockets, Goggles for

I need some goggles options for a person with deep eye sockets.
Old 07-04-2009

eddiewouldgo

You won't find anything good for deeply inset eyes. Instead get a low profile swim mask.
Old 07-04-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewouldgo View Post
You won't find anything good for deeply inset eyes. Instead get a low profile swim mask.
Ah, OK. Does anyone have any mask suggestions? Much smaller than the Seal Mask would be better.
Old 07-06-2009

shuumai

Being curious I tried on Aquaphere Vista and XP masks today. Once I found the proper position to make them seal on my face I pressed them too much and almost sucked my eyes out...twice. That actually gave me a headache.

It might be nice to have a positive-pressure version of the masks.
Old 07-06-2009

Rhoda

I have deep eye sockets and found the mask-type goggles were harder to get a good fit with. The Seal mask left me with a painful red mark over the bridge of my nose, as I had to tighten it a lot to keep it from leaking.
A goggle with an adjustable nose bridge might be the best bet. If this person hasn't tried Speedo Hydrospex, get him/her to try a pair. They seem to fit a lot of people who have trouble finding a good fit with swim goggles.
Old 07-06-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
A goggle with an adjustable nose bridge might be the best bet. If this person hasn't tried Speedo Hydrospex, get him/her to try a pair. They seem to fit a lot of people who have trouble finding a good fit with swim goggles.
Ah, thanks. Another good thing about the Hydrospex is that Target stores have them. I'll suggest it.

He did try my Kaiman goggles. I would be surprised if they didn't work well for him if he had adjusted them properly. At the same time, I doubt they were adjusted properly and he was keeping his eyes closed anyway!
Old 08-10-2009

Nicodemus

I prefer the mask style of goggles. I have Aquasphere Vista and love them.

You should not need to tighten the strap really tight to stop them leaking. This is a sign that the mask is the wrong fit for your face. If choosing a mask like this, do the same test as for a scuba mask - press onto your face without using the strap. If it is a good fit, it will stay in place held purely by suction. If it falls off, then you have not got a good seal, so it will leak.

Unfortunately this means that the "eyeball-sucking" effect is a sign of a good fit. To avoid pain, don't press the mask so hard onto your face when you wear it. And if necessary remove the mask by peeling up an edge to break the seal, rather than just pull it straight off.
Old 08-12-2009

shuumai

Thanks for the reply. The crazy man has chosen to swim without goggles. I guess it's a good skill, but his eyes were extremely red the last time I saw him. It isn't like we swim in spring water. hehe
Old 09-03-2009

Ken B

I've found the goggle for me, good fit, perfect seal always, easy adjustment and good straps. They're ADDIDAS DOMINATE. I bought 5 pairs, 4 with smoked lens. Like most of you I have a box of nearly fits that I would gladly donate to a good home. Sadly they include the TI recommended aqua sphere seal.

Ken
Old 09-03-2009

greg26

I use a pair of Arena Imax (smoke black) and I am very satisfied.. it feels like a mix between googles and a swim mask... it's large around the eyes.. the glass is flat (so your vision dont get distorted when you look on your side.. important to me... )

G.