Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009

BradMM
Default Physical decline caused by slow decay of brain's myelin

Terry got me to reading The Talent Code and I'm very much enjoying it... except the part about how my myelin is breaking down rather than being built up! The point of the book is that talent is developed through targeted deep practice which develops neural pathways that are kind of reinforced by building layers of myelin around them to cause them to function better. We aren't born with talents, we learn them but, the older you get, the harder it is to learn them because your brain starts degenerating.

The myelination of brain circuits follows an inverted U-shaped trajectory, peaking in middle age. Bartzokis and others have long argued that brain aging may be primarily related to the process of myelin breakdown.

"Studies have shown us that as we age, myelin breakdown and repair is continually occurring over the brain's entire 'neural network,'" said Bartzokis, who is also a member of UCLA's Ahmanson–Lovelace Brain Mapping Center and the UCLA Laboratory of Neuro Imaging. "But in older age, we begin losing the repair battle. That means the average performance of the networks gradually declines with age at an accelerating rate."

Significantly, the research suggests that the myelin breakdown process should also reduce all other brain functions for which performance speed is dependent on higher AP frequencies, including memory; it also supports the suggestion that myelin breakdown is a biological process of aging underlying the erosion of physical skills and cognitive decline, including the onset of such age-driven disorders as Alzheimer's disease.

There is, however, some good news, according to Bartzokis.

"Since in healthy individuals brain myelin breakdown begins to occur in middle age, there is a decades-long period during which therapeutic interventions could alter the course of brain aging and possibly delay age-driven degenerative brain disorders such as Alzheimer's," he said. "Non-invasive, serial evaluations of myelin integrity could be used to monitor the effects of new and current treatments that may slow the process of myelin breakdown as early as midlife."

So, the lesson is, if you're under 40, FOCUS on what you want to be good/great at, such as swimming, and find ways to engage in deep practice such as TI techniques.

If you're OVER 40, you're going to have to work even harder to get there... but NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Old 08-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
So, the lesson is, if you're under 40, FOCUS on what you want to be good/great at, such as swimming, and find ways to engage in deep practice such as TI techniques.

If you're OVER 40, you're going to have to work even harder to get there... but NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Oh, excrement. I'm running out of time to improve. Well, while things will become more challenging to learn, it's the challenge that has a positive effect on the brain.

(I need to go back and listen to the part 2 of the book since I was distracted while playing the audio files.)
Old 08-16-2009

Rhoda

I'm over 50 - just - and feel I'm still improving and learning. Perhaps it takes longer than it took at 30.
Read The Brain Trust book for suggestions on diet to maintain good brain health. It goes against all the low-fat suggestions of of the past few decades, recommending certain fats and oils as well as coenzyme Q10 to feed the brain and keep it well-lubricated.
Old 08-16-2009

kryptobob1
Default breakdown of myelin sheaths

I am not sure that large studies necessarily apply directly to individuals. That is why you can have a guy like Jack LaLaine who bounces all over the place at 90+ years old. Exercising the brain, eating right, avoiding fat blockers such as Zetia or some of the natural ones (my opinion, but loosely based on the recent Vytorin study which showed worse outcomes for people taking zetia + zocor vs zocor alone on cath studies) physically demanding multi-tasked exercise which puts a positive load on the CNS can all benefit. MYelin is fat or lipid. We have to maintain a good intake of "good" lipids. I learned in Nutrition that we make 50% and we take in 50%. Sure, the Second Law of Thermodynanics is always working against us. Warranties of body parts expire, etc... But a large study finding does not correlate well to you, the individual. I personally think that everything we have in our lipid profile has value. It's the dysarrangement and percentages of the low density ones when too high that may lead to damage. I tell my pilots that there is only one that has no value, transfat, and that's because we made it... SO- read read read!!! Good literary exercise using great material and keep up the plyometrics, total body conditioning and muscle confusion training and I believe that you will greatly slow down any problem. Be aware there are other variables at work, genetics being one. We get 120 years (neat study done when I was in med school showed skin cells stopped reproducing at a certain number of divisions, extrapolated out = 120 yrs give or take. (yeah yeah I know the Russian Dannon lady standing on the mountain at 135 or so wrapped in what looked a carpet eating Dannon yogurt. Well, guess what, she was only like a 114 or so. Still that is pretty darn good!
Quote:
Terry got me to reading The Talent Code and I'm very much enjoying it... except the part about how my myelin is breaking down rather than being built up! The point of the book is that talent is developed through targeted deep practice which develops neural pathways that are kind of reinforced by building layers of myelin around them to cause them to function better. We aren't born with talents, we learn them but, the older you get, the harder it is to learn them because your brain starts degenerating.

The myelination of brain circuits follows an inverted U-shaped trajectory, peaking in middle age. Bartzokis and others have long argued that brain aging may be primarily related to the process of myelin breakdown.

"Studies have shown us that as we age, myelin breakdown and repair is continually occurring over the brain's entire 'neural network,'" said Bartzokis, who is also a member of UCLA's Ahmanson–Lovelace Brain Mapping Center and the UCLA Laboratory of Neuro Imaging. "But in older age, we begin losing the repair battle. That means the average performance of the networks gradually declines with age at an accelerating rate."

Significantly, the research suggests that the myelin breakdown process should also reduce all other brain functions for which performance speed is dependent on higher AP frequencies, including memory; it also supports the suggestion that myelin breakdown is a biological process of aging underlying the erosion of physical skills and cognitive decline, including the onset of such age-driven disorders as Alzheimer's disease.

There is, however, some good news, according to Bartzokis.

"Since in healthy individuals brain myelin breakdown begins to occur in middle age, there is a decades-long period during which therapeutic interventions could alter the course of brain aging and possibly delay age-driven degenerative brain disorders such as Alzheimer's," he said. "Non-invasive, serial evaluations of myelin integrity could be used to monitor the effects of new and current treatments that may slow the process of myelin breakdown as early as midlife."

Old 08-16-2009

BradMM

Thanks, Rhonda! I totally agree with what you wrote.

I've been reading fitness and diet info for the past 10 years although I kind of slowed down the past few. I buy an enteric fish oil because my wife doesn't like fish and doesn't want to burp fish oil. I also like to grill wild salmon. By the way, Vital Choices has an incredible free newsletter with regular summaries of studies on the benefits of fish and fish byproducts. I would highly recommend it.

Also got over the fat phobia early on and do eat healthy fats. I kind of come and go with coenzyme Q10 but I did read recently that the red yeast rice that I started recently to lower LDL's also interfere's with the body's production of that so I'm cutting back on the red yeast rice.
Old 08-16-2009

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptobob1 View Post
[font="Garamond"]I am not sure that large studies necessarily apply directly to individuals.
Of course they don't always apply but what are the alternatives? They at least give us trend lines but we all probably fall above or below these somewhere. I'm sure you would also agree that one study does not make it so. I was basically following up with a post from Terry about the book which I've been reading and was using the article to raise the topic.

Almost 30 years ago, I took a very interesting course titled Language and the Brain. I seem to remember that myelin's benefit was that it sped up the neural connections because the electrical impulse would jump from point to point across the myelin versus traveling through the neuron. Now, the benefit seems to be that it insulates the neuron and somehow that improves the connection. Just wondered, since you seem to be educated in medicine, if you could clarify that for me... just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 08-16-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Also got over the fat phobia early on and do eat healthy fats. I kind of come and go with coenzyme Q10 but I did read recently that the red yeast rice that I started recently to lower LDL's also interfere's with the body's production of that so I'm cutting back on the red yeast rice.
A proven all-in-one solution for improving your cholesterol balance is slow release niacin. Slow release is for reducing flushing. Niacin has been proven to raise HDL, lower LDL, and reduce triglycerides by up to 30%. Ah, it would be interesting to check on nutrient depletion though.
Old 08-16-2009

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
A proven all-in-one solution for improving your cholesterol balance is slow release niacin. Slow release is for reducing flushing. Niacin has been proven to raise HDL, lower LDL, and reduce triglycerides by up to 30%. Ah, it would be interesting to check on nutrient depletion though.
As you said, "oh excrement!" I just bought a bunch of the other because it was on sale. Actually my ratio has always been acceptable because my HDL's are high but I'd still like to bring down the LDS's.
Old 08-16-2009

shuumai

Quote:
As you said, "oh excrement!" I just bought a bunch of the other because it was on sale. Actually my ratio has always been acceptable because my HDL's are high but I'd still like to bring down the LDS's.
The book I read suggests taking the following product (or similar) three times a day. Again, the dosage is spread out as well as time-released to avoid flushing.

http://www.endur.com/index.cfm?fusea...2&parentpage=0

Yeah, rasing HDL is one of the keys to regulating overall cholesterol. It's not all about reducing or eliminating. More like balancing.
Old 08-16-2009

BradMM

From your link:

"Use of Niacin for cholesterol should always be physician supervised."

I'm CERTAIN you did this, riiiiiiight????