Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing > Pool
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013

Grant
Default Low normal testosterone levels and effect on swim speed

I would like to open this issue and see what the collective wisdom is of the forum regarding what would be reasonable expectations for swimmers in their 70/80's when their blood testosterone level is at the low range of normal. Also if there any unique training regimes that can minimize the slowing down trend.
I am 78. The last year my times are off about 10%. The testosterone blood level right at the low range of normal. My energy level is nowhere near what it was two years go. Had an aggressive form of prostrate cancer removed 18 months ago. They got it all and follow up PSA's have been less than 0.01, which is very good news. As the literature shows supplementing testosterone can stimulate any remaining prostate cancer cells I am not going that route.
So any insights or protocols that would result in being able to build or at least maintain muscle mass as us oldies advance in years.
I practice 1.5 hours three times a week and am swimming about 2500m each time. Have been playing with TI for about 15 years now, so I have played with balance and form for many years. Still a work in progress but the big improvements are behind me. Am finding that I can sleep for two hours after a swim practice. See what I mean about energy level.
Will appreciate any advice that comes.
Old 06-25-2013

Richardsk

Hi Grant

I am officially the same age as you (birthday in August so soon to be the same age as my masters age) and I have absolutely no idea what my testosterone levels are, but probably on the low side as I understand levels fall as you age.

So far this year most of my freestyle times are slightly better than last year and I am hoping to continue that progression at a meet at the weekend, but who knows what will actually happen? My times are a lot slower than yours, indeed slower than most, but I still hope to improve a bit.

They say that resistance training and intensive interval training can lead to increased testosterone and human growth hormone production, but not being a medical scientist, I can't vouch for that.

This site might be of interest but understand that it's not something I can actually recommend as I am not qualified to judge.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...ne-levels.aspx

I find I'm enjoying swimming as much as ever and perhaps more so, so perhaps that outweighs the knowledge that I will never be a masters record holder.
Old 06-26-2013

Grant

I find I'm enjoying swimming as much as ever and perhaps more so, so perhaps that outweighs the knowledge that I will never be a masters record holder.[/quote]
I have the same feelings about swimming. I hope to swim for many more years and would like to compete up till the end. The meets are so much fun and are my icing on the cake.
Old 06-26-2013

Richardsk

Yes. I plan to swim on until I can't swim any more. Three of my swimming acquaintances have recently departed this earth, but happily many are still going strong in their eighties, and one, who is not really an acquaintance although I have met him and spoken to him, is still swimming and is 99 this year.