swimust
Default Good luck Chloe

103 miles in 60 hours is nothing :) :)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/australian-...4.html#Xmu8AJE

video: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/mccar...060505422.html
Old 06-13-2013

stratcat

:(

She had to abandon the swim after 11 hours (!!!) after bad jellyfish stings.

Still, a great effort from the Melbourne girl and hope she has another go at the swim soon.

Chris
Old 06-13-2013

swimust

we should expect science to find a solution for the jellyfish problem by now. they found an electro magnetic solution for the sharks.
Old 06-14-2013

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimust View Post
we should expect science to find a solution for the jellyfish problem by now. they found an electro magnetic solution for the sharks.
The jellyfish aren't as mobile and couldn't get away even if they wanted to, which makes it quite hard to apply a similar solution.
Old 06-14-2013

Richardsk

Of course one could take the view that the sharks and jellyfish have a perfect right to be where they are in the oceans and that humans have only themselves to blame if they do daft things like trying to swim very long distances in tropical or sub-tropical waters.

Humans are inherently daft, though, and always looking for daft things to do.

Perhaps it was the daftness gene that made them evolve into humans.

No chimpanzee or orang utan would try something so silly.
Old 06-14-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
The jellyfish aren't as mobile and couldn't get away even if they wanted to, which makes it quite hard to apply a similar solution.
The jellyfish must have a mechanism that releases the poisonous stuff, maybe humans can find how to neutralize it :)
Old 06-14-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Of course one could take the view that the sharks and jellyfish have a perfect right to be where they are in the oceans and that humans have only themselves to blame if they do daft things like trying to swim very long distances in tropical or sub-tropical waters.

Humans are inherently daft, though, and always looking for daft things to do.

Perhaps it was the daftness gene that made them evolve into humans.

No chimpanzee or orang utan would try something so silly.
best post ever ;)
Old 06-15-2013

The Parrot
Default The Daftness Gene

Actually Richard I think this gene may be programmed to become more active as one gets older? And it may be influenced by the company one keeps?
Thanks to you and some of the good people that frequent this site, I entered for my first ever pool swimming race yesterday at the age of 72. This was the UK National Masters champs at Plymouth with which I believe you are familiar. It was also my first time in a 50 metres pool which I found to be far more that twice the length of a 25 metre pool. I came fourth but that was because there were not many in my age group. What I found remarkable was the 81 year old man in the next lane to me who swam 31 minutes, easily beating me - and the 82 year old Jane Asher who swam 28 minutes!!
That would certainly confirm my hypothesis that the daftness gene is switched on by the age of the host carcass so I still have a way to go.

Martin T.
Old 06-15-2013

Richardsk

Hi Martin

I wouldn't really say that entering for a masters meet for the first time at age 72 (or 73, which is your official age) was a daft thing, especially since that was my age when I entered for my first masters races after discovering first TI and then masters swimming in 2006. It seems to me that it was one of the most sensible things I ever did, and I intend to carry on doing it until I drop, which I hope is still a good few years away.

Anyway, you had good company in the next lane. I have met Mr Askew a few times and like you he was a runner for many years so has plenty of lung power.

Jane Asher is simply a phenomenon and holds a huge number of world records.

Too bad I couldn't have been there myself.

I'll be swimming in Aldershot soon, though, which is also a 50 meter event, but nothing longer than 200 meters.
Old 06-16-2013

The Parrot
Default Daftness

To hear that you started racing at the same age as me is really most encouraging, Richard, as you have clearly learned a great deal since.
I think there may be another gene which is prevalent and active in me and that is the 'somewhat obsessive gene'. When I take an interest in something it can tend to take over. The meticulous attention to detail needed to try to swim with a decent TI style really plays to that and I don't think I shall be able to be rid of it now, either. Racing might be the pepper and salt on a diet of daily swimming but there is just so much to learn.
Thank you for your encouragement, I look forward with pleasure to meeting at one of these daft events.

Martin T.