Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013

flowersnapper
Default Wanting to tone up my flabby abs

Hi Everyone,

I'm delighted to join your community - I've just been watching Terry's marvellous DVD Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 lessons and have been blown away by it.

I've joined the local gym and can't wait to get down to the pool to start putting it into practice.

Apart from wanting to improve my swimming (I'm a real novice), I was hoping to firm up my flabby abdominals. Although I am a gardener by profession due to a back injury years ago, I kneel most of the time when I'm working, hence the flabby tummy.

I must say I've never seen such a relaxed, competent and inspiring swimmer as Terry, but I am a little surprised Terry hasn't got a tremendous six pack as I would have imagined. I'm not meaning to be rude in any way, its just an observation.

Is there any explanation for this? I would have thought with all the fantastic exercise it would have been a washboard stomach.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 05-15-2013

Richardsk

Like most men of his age, or older, he has the abdominal muscles all right, but not the low percentage of body fat that makes them visible.

There's a load of stuff on the internet about how to get the mighty six-pack.

Everyone has a sure fire method that will only cost you a few dollars ( or euros, or roubles).

Don't waste your time doing sit-ups, though. Diet is the key. Ah, but which one?
Old 05-15-2013

Scotty

Flowersnapper:

Terry really does have awesome abs, but the underwater camera adds 10-15 pounds, thus distorting his six-pack.

I also think that Terry enjoys life to the fullest. This might include consuming foods other than nuts, fruits, or vegetables. There is also the law of gravity which is more profound among those of us in our 60's.

Terry is incredibly fit with more energy than most people half his age. I like his middle age build because it gives the "everyman" image letting us old guys know that a high level of fitness is still attainable.

Scotty
Old 05-17-2013

dprevish
Default Abs

Flowersnapper,

I don't know if you have ever thought of running. I know you said you have a back injury, but it engages the abs more than anything else I've known and is a highly aerobic sport. I also recommend that you work up to incorporating long slow runs as you'll burn down belly fat while enjoying traveling for miles overland. Try trail running if your body can't take the pavement. Study the rules on increasing your mileage though so you don't get injured; never more than 10% more a week and every 4th week ease off for what's called periodization. Most people who try running get a few niggles that won't go away (shin splints, knees etc) and then give up, and most of the time they just did too much too fast.
Be patient as you have to work up to the long runs and it will take months to see the slow progression of your body changing. But as the body leans in running your endurance increases, there is less load bearing on the joints and ligaments, you'll transform the stomach in the process as you drop the weight that you don't want. Very few ultra runners don't have washboard abs, not saying most of us want to go that far!
Diet is huge. There are a lot of great documentaries out there about eating nutrient rich foods instead of the cheap processed junk we now pass for food.(don't get me started). If you like to garden then heap on the vegetables! Stay clear of grease, opt for olive oil to cook with. Just a couple ideas, study up on this.
As for sit ups, they are not much fun. As Richard suggested, not saying they won't help...just not as important as diet. Core exercise is better all around anyway.
Hope this gives you some ideas.:]
Old 05-17-2013

flowersnapper

Thanks to you all for this useful information. I did try walking 10,000 steps per day using pedometer some time ago, but unfortunately I kept getting really dizzy when I stopped. Tried gym - I can't even walk on treadmill without holding on to sides, and again I get dizzy when I get off.

So I think swimming just suits my metabolism. I do eat a good diet (no junk food) and am a professional gardener, so should get plenty of exercise. I'll just have to hope that swimming will eventually tone up the abs.

Any more advice most appreciated

Chris
Old 05-23-2013
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Hi Chris..and welcome,

I added a few thoughts and replies to your inquiries

Apart from wanting to improve my swimming (I'm a real novice), I was hoping to firm up my flabby abdominals. Although I am a gardener by profession due to a back injury years ago, I kneel most of the time when I'm working, hence the flabby tummy.

Some things I would recommend to tone - up/strengthen and remove excess fat around your mid section:

Swim- this will work/tone every muscle in your body
Proper Nutrition and the of quality/quanity of food intake. Usually this is the culprit behind the excess flabb.
Land activities that burn calories- Walking,cycling, jogging, etc..
Planks- these are great for toning and stengthing your core and will help take the stress of your back.
Yoga-enable you to develop good posture,flexibility, strength, and balance.

I must say I've never seen such a relaxed, competent and inspiring swimmer as Terry, but I am a little surprised Terry hasn't got a tremendous six pack as I would have imagined. I'm not meaning to be rude in any way, its just an observation.
Is there any explanation for this? I would have thought with all the fantastic exercise it would have been a washboard stomach.

If your goal is to want washboard abs you will most likely need to do isolated focused land exercises like sit-ups, crunches and control your fat intake in your diet. Yes there are swimmers with washboard stomachs and my guess is it's from having a land based exercise program that they follow. Does this look really improve there swimming? Or will as in Terry's case having excellent technique, superbly toned muscles (from swimming,yoga), and most impotantly a well exercised brain prove to be more productive. Another point I think what gets misunderstood from some is if someone doesn't have a washboard stomach they often assume that they are out of shape or have untoned muscles and are poor athletes. Certainly having a washboard stomach wont hurt your swimming and may even prove to be more benificial in some land based sports.

Hope this help
Swim Well to Be Well
Kaizen
CoachGeorge

Last edited by CoachGeorgeRandall : 05-24-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2013

flowersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachGeorgeRandall View Post
Hi Chris..and welcome,

I added a few thoughts and replies to your inquiries

Some things I would recommend to tone - up/strengthen and remove excess fat around your mid section:

Swim- this will work/tone every muscle in your body
Proper Nutrition and the of quality/quanity of food intake. Usually this is the culprit behind the excess flabb.
Land activities that burn calories- Walking,cycling, jogging, etc..
Crunches- these are great for toning and stengthing your core and will help take the stress of your back.
Yoga-enable you to develop flexibility, strength, and balance.

If your goal is to want washboard abs you will most likely need to do aerobic activities wtih isolated focused land exercises like sit-ups, crunches and control your fat intake in your diet. Yes there are swimmers with washboard stomachs and my guess is it's from having a land based exercise program that they follow. Does this look really improve there swimming? Or will as in Terry's case having excellent technique, superbly toned muscles (from swimming,yoga), and most importantly a well exercised brain prove to be more productive. Another point I think what gets misunderstood from some is if someone doesn't have a washboard stomach they often assume that they are out of shape or have untoned muscles and are poor athletes. Certainly having a washboard stomach won't hurt your swimming and may even prove to be more benificial in some land based sports.

Hope this help
Swim Well to Be Well
Kaizen
CoachGeorge
Thanks to everyone for your help - I went to pool today, only one in - gorgeous.

Starting Terry's lessons, only up to lesson two, but really enjoying it.

Thanks again
Chris

Last edited by CoachGeorgeRandall : 05-23-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2013

haschu33

I am not so sure whether those washboard/six pack abs are really something that should be worked for. It might well be that six-pack abs mainly are chronically shortened muscles. When the abs relax they should get relatively flat. When you look at dancer they usually have a rather flat belly but sure have great abs.

But swimming does a lot for good abs no doubt.
Old 03-02-2014

craigcurtin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersnapper View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm delighted to join your community - I've just been watching Terry's marvellous DVD Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 lessons and have been blown away by it.

I've joined the local gym and can't wait to get down to the pool to start putting it into practice.

Thanks in advance

Chris

If you do some reading on the Internet you will find that the major core muscle group that you will engage with swimming (if done right) is your TVA - this is the muscle that actually sits under the Abs and runs across your body.

If want some serious abs then you should read the book by Tim Ferriss the Four Hour Body - he will give you two basic exercises in there to work all of your abs and he also discusses the body fat percentages you need to be at (and how to get there) to get a defined six pack - it is much easier than you think - but will not happen through swimming alone.

Craig
Old 12-19-2014

compac

Regarding eating before swimming--I am an early riser and before swimming (approx. 1/2 hour) I have a cup of green tea and a Zone protein bar. I also carry a water bottle to the pool and usually consume 28 oz of water in the hour.