Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008

robv
Default shinji 9 stroke very helpfull thanx!

Started 2 months ago with no freestyle experience at all, bought the TI book, made a lot of progression but still strugling with getting everything in place and swimming fluently.

Yesterday I watched the Shinji 9 stroke movie on youtube about 30 times. Because his stroke is so relaxed you can see all movements and timing very well. By watching it so closely I could feel all movements even from behind my pc.

Today I went to the pool and did nothing more than feel like the shinji movie and already the first lane of the 25 pool I reached the far end with 16 strokes and with a bit more concentration I could get it down to 14. But all this numbers don't mean that much to me, the best thing is the feeling of continuous dynamic swimming. And all that by watching a movie form behind my pc! Whoopy!

TI rules! Keep up all instructions and sample movies they really help!
Old 11-25-2008

Richardsk

Very impressive, but why the Superman posture? Would he not go further with the normal streamline position?
Is it a sort of preparation for spearing to tracks?
Old 11-26-2008

as

watching the 12 stroke video - i noticed that shinji's elbow ends up kind of pressed against his side.

i've noticed during my crawl and backstroke that my elbows are kind of wide and draggy at the end of the "stroke" and before they exit the water. i thought the two responses are either exit the water faster or figure out how to make that part streamlined (or both).

any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2008

Shinji

Thanks for watching my video!
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Old 11-26-2008

Shinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Very impressive, but why the Superman posture? Would he not go further with the normal streamline position?
Is it a sort of preparation for spearing to tracks?
Since my hip and legs can float without putting down extended arms, I try to raise my arms to reduce drag.
So this really is not a drill for freestyle. But it is useful to feel drag and try to reduce it.
Old 11-26-2008

mjm

"Thanks for watching my video!
If you have any questions, please let me know."

Shinji: very impressive videos. My questions:

1. Superman glide. Your toes seem to be pointed down. Should they be pointed more in line with your legs?

2. 12 strokes. Your lead arm hand and recovery arm hand almost touch, as in a "catchup drill". Should a perpetual motion stroke have the catch phase start when the recovery hand reaches the ear?

The balance and effortlessness in the videos is inspirational to me. Thanks.
--mjm
Old 11-26-2008

Shinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm View Post
"Thanks for watching my video!
1. Superman glide. Your toes seem to be pointed down. Should they be pointed more in line with your legs?

2. 12 strokes. Your lead arm hand and recovery arm hand almost touch, as in a "catchup drill". Should a perpetual motion stroke have the catch phase start when the recovery hand reaches the ear?
--mjm
1. Good eyes! I could not do it when this video was shot, but no I can.
By pointing my toes in line, I can move 16 yards now. Please be aware that doing that makes your leg muscle tense and it is not applied to swimming freestyle.

2. In the video, my tempo was 1.1 sec and I could catch-up my arms. It was the only way to swim with 12 strokes at 1.1 sec tempo. When the tempo is faster and I swim with more strokes, which means when I swim faster, the timing will be what you describe.
Old 11-26-2008

Shinji

Quote:
Originally Posted by as View Post
i've noticed during my crawl and backstroke that my elbows are kind of wide and draggy at the end of the "stroke" and before they exit the water. i thought the two responses are either exit the water faster or figure out how to make that part streamlined (or both).

any thoughts?
Try "underwater finish".
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTkEwawPSw&fmt=6

Last edited by Shinji : 11-26-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji View Post
I think that is the best Shinjisan video so far. Plenty of underwater shots. The movements are energetic. And I think I saw a smile. haha (Shuumai bookmarks the link.)
Old 11-27-2008

cquinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji View Post
Thanks for watching my video!
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Shinji - your 9 stroke swim is incredible! I have been practicing the TI principles for about 5 years and although I have not specifically been targeting stroke reduction for the past couple of years, I am currently at 14 for 25m. Without seeing video, are there any specific components of the stroke you would recommend focusing on to achieve that next level of efficiency?

Thanks,
Chris