Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Eyes UP Catch

I've been watching this video a lot since I found it today. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6qDqKPd_M
Old 10-09-2009

andreasl33

In my opinion, the most important thing is to have a head position that allows you to rotate your head to the side (90 degrees or less) and breath in a stable bow wave, without having to lift your head or lower your head.
If you have the head too low, you have to rotate too much to air or lift the head, leading to all kinds of instabilities.
Having it too high does not create a good bow wave and means you would have to lower the head to breath in order to create as little drag as possible.
I have not had the experience that a slightly elevated head leads to sinking legs, but maybe this happens with more muscular people.
I am actually looking forward just a bit, which makes MY spine straighter than when looking exactly down. However, I am not looking as much forward as to see other swimmers in front of me, I try looking for a shadow on the floor, in order not to bump into them, which works sometimes.
Old 10-10-2009

AWP

Terry does illustrate this in his video (although in an Endless pool) as a way for the swimmer to teach themselves what happens when they do this; becoming self aware. For many the legs will indeed drop.
As andreas refers, it is far more important to become hyper aware (and relaxed) of the head position that will allow for an optimal head/spine alignment for ease and control ("just enough") of rotation to air.
I found, myself, that the practice shown is what I sometimes do in OW when focused on sighting with the intent of disturbing as little as possible my stroke rhythm. I felt that if my head was not in an optimal position,hung too much, although comfy would take too much to bring up to peek. Compounded dozens of times it's exhausting. So finding that happy median is crucial and allows for a quicker peek with no strain or added effort. However, if conditions in OW are not optimal then it's a wash in my opinion. That is, better to reserve energy by staying completely neutral in head position giving yourself the most relaxed and aligned position and feeling you can to 'cut' waves and 'plan' your sightings to gradually bring the head up, peek, then back down into comfort zone. This is the practice.
I implement a 1-2-3 stroke cycle that brings my head up slowly, incrementally, with each stroke then the same way down.
Remember, a well balanced body position is key and should be the primary goal... always.
Old 10-10-2009

bartp
Default new post??

ridiculous question but can someone tell how to start a new post
Old 10-10-2009

daveblt

You click on the forum you want to post on ,(freestyle, backstroke ect.) At the upper left you will see where it says new thread .Click on it.

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 10-10-2009 at 02:54 AM.