Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Superman Flutter

Today I decided to do a little Superman Glide and Superman Flutter to prepare myself for my first student. Wow! I felt much more balanced when I started to do a few strokes. That led to focusing on leaning on my underarms for better balance during whole stroke. That led to more emphasis on a long body line and an active way to stretch my lats. It felt great.

BTW, when I was doing Superman Flutter I felt I couldn't kick to hard without my feet breaking the surface more than usual. Is that something to avoid? Should I kick deeper or just keep it gentle?
Old 06-02-2009

daveblt

Keep it gentle, but is it possible your feet were breaking the surface because you were leaning in too much on your armpits or pushing the head down too much ?

Dave
Old 06-02-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Keep it gentle, but is it possible your feet were breaking the surface because you were leaning in too much on your armpits or pushing the head down too much ?
It doesn't happen during whole stroke. I guess it's possible that my legs are floating too much during Superman Flutter. (I actually had a thread on that topic.) If that's the case, finding the right balance point is more elusive than I had thought. Hmm...I wonder if the rate of my kick was faster than necessary.

In any case, the Superman Flutter is a useful drill, even though it might seem very basic. And I like how the wide arms make it a more stable position.
Old 08-10-2009

ayesr
Default An observation/learning platform

Once you get the hang of it, the superman with soft/gentle flutter is a great drill to observe - doing various hand strokes underwater, how you are doing/should do the strokes, your footwork, etc.

The hands-in-front position can serve as a kickboard - for whip kicks, for DKs, to get the feel for the propulsion provided by the foot-flick (DK or 2BK), for getting the feel for the feet drafting sensation, for getting the right intensity into the flutter....

And in tandem with the process of breathing, this drill can teach one the sneaky breath technique, hand sculling/waving (drown proofing technique), and can be used to initiate one into other strokes.

And all these works because the key to this drill is the ACTIVE BALANCING MINDSET...hang head whenever feet sinks (and this becomes a natural corrective process in FS in particular).

End.