Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing > Pool
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013

Richardsk

No need to worry, Martin. You'll be fine. Enter the Nationals, which are at Plymouth for the first time this year in June. There is a 1500 on the programme, which should suit you down to the ground if you enter only one race. Don't miss it, and seriously consider entering a few more. I'm unlikely to be there myself because of family commitments, but you never know, I might manage to squeeze it in. I'd like to see this fabled pool, where stars like Tom Daley and Ruta Meilutyte train.
Old 03-17-2013

The Parrot
Default Masters Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
No need to worry, Martin. You'll be fine. Enter the Nationals, which are at Plymouth for the first time this year in June. There is a 1500 on the programme, which should suit you down to the ground if you enter only one race. Don't miss it, and seriously consider entering a few more. I'm unlikely to be there myself because of family commitments, but you never know, I might manage to squeeze it in. I'd like to see this fabled pool, where stars like Tom Daley and Ruta Meilutyte train.
I am really most grateful for this. I will enter and do hope you might be there so that I can meet and thank you in person; if not this time then another. I have learned from some of your posts and together with the TI DVDs, a recent lesson with Flychick in Gloucester, and advice from someone of Grant's standing, I am encouraged to keep ploughing away.
(Perhaps not the best simile . . !)

Martin T.
Old 03-17-2013

flychick

Hi Martin!!
How is your practise going? I hope that our session was of benefit to you. Really enjoyed meeting you.
I've entered the Dart 10K - really excited - I'll keep you posted!
Warm regards,
Nicki
Old 03-17-2013

Richardsk

Hi Martin

I gather it's too late for you to enter the Gloucester Masters meet now, but be sure to enter for next year's. It's a great meet and one of my favourites.
Old 03-22-2013
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parrot View Post
Richard, I enjoy your posts and I hope you will not mind my asking your advice. At 72 I have never swum in a pool race and am finding it difficult to know how to go about starting. There must be others like me?
My preference is for longer freestyle races - the longer the better as I have a great heart and lungs but probably not a single fast-twitch fibre in my body! I swim a mile five times a week, usually around 35 minutes which is comfortable but certainly not fast. My best is around 33 minutes. I will start some interval training/ faster work before too long. I have not got a clue how to go about entering a race or learning how to race but would value your experience and opinion and hope to hear from you. I am in Dorset but would travel where necessary.

Martin T.
I didn't begin swimming competitively until I was an adult, although I wasn't quite as old as you. Grant has already given you an excellent overview, but I'll add a few additional comments:

1) People in masters races are frequently competing with themselves as much as with other swimmers, because there are so many varied backgrounds. One swimmer may have been competing fairly continuously since he was a kid, while another may have competed as a kid but taken 20 years off, and still another may be competing in his first race. So they realize that it's ridiculous to compare themselves with other swimmers.

2) Keep in mind that, just as you need to perfect your swimming skills, you will also need to perfect your racing skills. There is a whole process of learning how to prepare for a meet so that you deliver the best performance possible given your current level of swimming skills. The events you choose, your practices leading up to the meet, how you warm up on the day of the meet, even what youj eat, can all be important in performing your best at the meet. And, for the most part, you learn these sorts of things by trial and error.

Bob
Old 03-23-2013

The Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
I didn't begin swimming competitively until I was an adult, although I wasn't quite as old as you. Grant has already given you an excellent overview, but I'll add a few additional comments:

1) People in masters races are frequently competing with themselves as much as with other swimmers, because there are so many varied backgrounds. One swimmer may have been competing fairly continuously since he was a kid, while another may have competed as a kid but taken 20 years off, and still another may be competing in his first race. So they realize that it's ridiculous to compare themselves with other swimmers.

2) Keep in mind that, just as you need to perfect your swimming skills, you will also need to perfect your racing skills. There is a whole process of learning how to prepare for a meet so that you deliver the best performance possible given your current level of swimming skills. The events you choose, your practices leading up to the meet, how you warm up on the day of the meet, even what youj eat, can all be important in performing your best at the meet. And, for the most part, you learn these sorts of things by trial and error.

Bob
Bob, I am a great believer in learning by trial and error. The trouble is at this age you don't have quite so much time left in which to err and learn! That is why I am so pleased to have a place like this and people like you to help shortcut the process a little. It amuses me that my first ever swimming race in a pool might be the National Masters champs. But you are right, it would be wise to look for a couple of smaller events in advance even if they are not my preferred distance.
Thanks again, I will report back in due course.

Martin T.