Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012
Coach

CoachMatHudson
Default Join Our Global Virtual Swim

Can you imagine thousands of swimmers, just like you and me, in every time zone, on every continent (yes, EVERY continent) on the same day consciously joining each other for a virtual group swim? Everyone will have a different time of day, a different kind of water, a different amount of time to spare and go at whatever pace, by whatever stroke you choose! But we all do it on the same day in honor of each other.

There are quite a few ways we could dissect the planet. But aiming to draw a TI Friend from each time zone around the world might be a good way to start.

There was a thread of recent where the idea was proposed of 'meeting up' in the spirit of TI Swimming Friendship to swim on Christmas Day (25 December). That day just provides us with the first opportunity.

So I would like to re-announce this initiative. It may be just a few this first time but that is quite ok.

The idea is that on certain days, special in some way to a segment of our TI Swimmer Community around the world, we might join with them in a swim - each person going to their local swimming place and joining the others 'in the spirit' around the world. It can symbolize whatever we wish - it's a good reminder that we are in this together on Planet Water, and great excuse for us to Go Swim!

Of course, for the Western world, Christmas Day will mean the most pools facilities will be closed. I am sure there are a few exceptions out there. This first event may just be available to those who are in a region that does not observe this day or have some open-water or an Endless Pool to jump into.

For my part, I will head to the sea tomorrow and intend to post a quick report, and hopefully a picture too. If you'd like to join me (Turkey), Ian (Canada?) and Eid (Afghanistan) please leave a note!

Head Coach
Mediterra International Swimming
mediterraswim.com

My blog with over 400 posts on TI technique and mindful training: Smooth Strokes Blog

Email: mat@mediterraswim.com

Last edited by CoachMatHudson : 12-24-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2012
Coach

CoachMatHudson
Default Join us TI GVGS Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/groups/481641365207956/

A page I've set up to coordinate information for any Virtual Group Swim we might do.

Come!

Head Coach
Mediterra International Swimming
mediterraswim.com

My blog with over 400 posts on TI technique and mindful training: Smooth Strokes Blog

Email: mat@mediterraswim.com
Old 12-25-2012

ian mac
Default Goodwill to all

Matt,
With my first off day in 3 weeks, I wish all my swimming brethren a wonderful day tomorrow. I shall join 2 of my children Cole 13 and Claire 11 in a morning swim.
I shall reflect on both the ups and downs of our struggle to be good decent and caring. To give love unconditionally and without expectation of any return. To appreciate the joy and serenity that swimming continues to bring me every time that I get into the water.
With a certain amount of incredulity I marvel at our small virtual community of swimmers, and how people from several continents will commit a beautiful and peaceful act apropos of nothing other than goodwill.
It gives me pause to consider the greatness inside each of us, and how there is yet an abundance of things that we can do both as individuals and as groups that can cause great and amazing things to happen.
Love and peace to all,
ian mac and family
Old 12-25-2012

azamy
Default Merry Christmas

Once again Merry Christmas to everyone. As I know the message of Christmas is peace, may we all have ever lasting peace in our lives wherever we are.

Mat I and my TI friend discussed this yesterday so today we are prepared with our swimming gear. We'll hit the pool and hopefully I will be able to use my Gopro for the first time and take some under water shots as well. I shall report back after the swim.

Eid
Old 12-25-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mac View Post
Matt,
With my first off day in 3 weeks, I wish all my swimming brethren a wonderful day tomorrow. I shall join 2 of my children Cole 13 and Claire 11 in a morning swim.
I shall reflect on both the ups and downs of our struggle to be good decent and caring. To give love unconditionally and without expectation of any return. To appreciate the joy and serenity that swimming continues to bring me every time that I get into the water.
With a certain amount of incredulity I marvel at our small virtual community of swimmers, and how people from several continents will commit a beautiful and peaceful act apropos of nothing other than goodwill.
It gives me pause to consider the greatness inside each of us, and how there is yet an abundance of things that we can do both as individuals and as groups that can cause great and amazing things to happen.
Love and peace to all,
ian mac and family
Hi Ian.
I wish I had said that :0)
All the best to everyone wherever you are.
Old 12-25-2012

Richardsk

Happy Christmas, all

No swimming today, unfortunately, but with you all in spirit.

Richard
Old 12-25-2012

flychick

Merry Christmas to all my swimming friends wherever you are!
I second Ian Mac's lovely words...

I have had my Christmas Day swim...check out the Facebook page that Mat started to see the pictures and to get the story!

Peace, hugs and love to you all.
Nicki
Old 12-26-2012

azamy

We did it!

I and my TI Buddy swum in the indoor pool for 90 mins and enjoyed every stroke. In fact I and my friend both took half day leave from the office (it was not a holiday here) and managed the swim. Call it bad luck, the only thing that didn't work as planned was my new gopro 3 camera, I missed to check whether its battery was fully charged or not and when we wanted to use in the pool, it just died before we could take any pictures or videos.

Congrats everyone for the GVS (Global Virtual Swim) I know some people don't like acronyms :D