Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012

Jbparis11
Default OWS newbie

i did my first ows ever last week. despite going about 50+ yards off course (learned a hard lesson about spotting), and a panic attack when i realized i was that far off course, i finished the swim less than 2 minutes off my normal pace.

* 32 in a 25m indoor pool (with very little push off)
* 34.30 in open water (lake). i had a very slow entry/exit from the beach as well.

i'm a 44 y.o. male, swimming only 9 months total. i'm very happy with that time, but hoping that others/coaches can tell me if that's okay ...or not.

i really have the bug to start regular open water work (it is much more enjoyable and fulfilling than in a pool), but where do i find good listings and/or an association group to work with?

thanks for any feedback
jb
Old 08-09-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbparis11 View Post
i did my first ows ever last week. despite going about 50+ yards off course (learned a hard lesson about spotting), and a panic attack when i realized i was that far off course, i finished the swim less than 2 minutes off my normal pace.

* 32 in a 25m indoor pool (with very little push off)
* 34.30 in open water (lake). i had a very slow entry/exit from the beach as well.

i'm a 44 y.o. male, swimming only 9 months total. i'm very happy with that time, but hoping that others/coaches can tell me if that's okay ...or not.

i really have the bug to start regular open water work (it is much more enjoyable and fulfilling than in a pool), but where do i find good listings and/or an association group to work with?

thanks for any feedback
jb
Suggest you post your location then others can advise local events/ open sessions. Well done on your accomplishment.
Old 08-09-2012

naj

Hey congrats on a job well done! You know for me, I don't care about times in ow. many in the ows community have a saying; "Your time isn't important finishing is the goal." Like you when I first learned to swim I immediately wanted to swim in ow. I love it and rarely go to the pool even my technique refinement is done in ow, but that is my preference and I am not advocating that for all

So far as where you can find other like minded owers, you might want to hook up with a Master's program in your area and see who regularly swims in open water. Their main website is here.

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 08-27-2012

dougalt
Default OW times

I'm with Naj on this one - I've stopped timing my swims along the Atlantic shore here in New Jersey.

Relaxation and concentration on more and more efficient stroke technique have been my primary goals this summer. The weather and water conditions have been delightful for most days of this season, and taking the time to pause and talk a bit with surfers and kayakers along the way has become a very enjoyable part of each outing. It's also nice to roll over on my back from time to time and do some elementary backstroke while soaking in some sun.

It is very comforting to me that my crawl stroke has evolved enough that fatigue is no longer the factor for determining backstroke interludes - I can do the whole mile with continuous crawl if I want to, with reserve energy for "emergency" situations, as opposed to three years ago when I HAD to rest in back- or breast-stroke every 5 minutes or so.

Now, enjoying the environment has become a major component of my swims.

PS: I've managed 75 OW swims so far this year, with 17 of them occurring between January 1st and March 31st, when the water temps were more like what Naj typically deals with...
Old 09-06-2012

Jbparis11

Second one-mile race was two minutes slower, even though I swam so much straighter (I think I've got this sighting thing down). I'm not sure where things went wrong, but I obviously swam at a much slower pace.
I've been reading all kinds of suggested remedies, but I'm all this I realize my short arms, couple with too slow of a stroke rate, seems to be slowing me down.

Thoughts?
🏊