Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing > Pool
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Today I tried the arms just touching the back of the ears and the movement thru the water did feel smoother, less turbulent. Now to burn it in. Thanks again.
Demonstrating once again that direct experience -- sometimes via a thoughtfully designed 'test' or experiment -- is often the best teacher. I would add a second consideration. In addition to which arm position during pushoff results in traveling the greatest distance to breakout, I find I must give equal weight to which position produces the least tension in my shoulders.

This is partially for reasons of sustainability. If I'm swimming a distance I must stay relaxed in order to avoid arm/shoulder fatigue as the laps accumulate. And partially to preserve my aged shoulders. After 47 years of swimming -- the first 25 with traditional technique -- I have to take care to avoid shoulder strain.

The arm position that gives me the best balance of efficiency, sustainability and comfort is to feel my ears on my inner biceps. And I don't squeeze my head either. The tradeoff of increased tension for a tiny further reduction in drag isn't worth it. If I examine my streamline from torso to toes, I can reduce drag a lot more without tension.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-20-2012

grandall

Grant great question!

For me inner biceps to ears works best. Having the arms further back created more shoulder tension and I had a tendency to arch my back which was effecting my head and spine alignment going into the stroke. I didn't notice any substantial increase in drag with arms against ears but what I did feel was allot less tension in the shoulders and back.
Old 12-20-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Demonstrating once again that direct experience -- sometimes via a thoughtfully designed 'test' or experiment -- is often the best teacher. I would add a second consideration. In addition to which arm position during pushoff results in traveling the greatest distance to breakout, I find I must give equal weight to which position produces the least tension in my shoulders.

This is partially for reasons of sustainability. If I'm swimming a distance I must stay relaxed in order to avoid arm/shoulder fatigue as the laps accumulate. And partially to preserve my aged shoulders. After 47 years of swimming -- the first 25 with traditional technique -- I have to take care to avoid shoulder strain.

The arm position that gives me the best balance of efficiency, sustainability and comfort is to feel my ears on my inner biceps. And I don't squeeze my head either. The tradeoff of increased tension for a tiny further reduction in drag isn't worth it. If I examine my streamline from torso to toes, I can reduce drag a lot more without tension.
Your post points out some points that I ran into on my journey. As I mentioned the just above ear position does work the best me. When I first tried it I was really squeezing my head with my arms. After a session or two it dawned on me that I did not have to be so tensed up, so I held the arms in place totally relaxed and with a sense of (that magic word) ease. :0) Way less energy consuming and more enjoyable. As you have said often - observe where there is tension.
Old 12-20-2012
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Your post points out some points that I ran into on my journey. As I mentioned the just above ear position does work the best me. When I first tried it I was really squeezing my head with my arms. After a session or two it dawned on me that I did not have to be so tensed up, so I held the arms in place totally relaxed and with a sense of (that magic word) ease. :0) Way less energy consuming and more enjoyable. As you have said often - observe where there is tension.
And in the process of doing this, you learn to listen to your body. When you do this, it's amazing how aware you become of the ease you gain or lose through a tiny change in body position!

Bob
Old 03-12-2013

Grant

Glad you had a fun meet Richard. This downward slide business is often vexing. At times I can accept it with grace and other times i get hooked into it which does not enliven my day.
Re your DQ. I think our Canadian Masters use the same rules as yours does. I was just told several weeks ago that in the Fly one can have the arms drag in the water on recovery as long as they are partially above the water surface. It would obviously slow one down but is not worthy of a DQ.
I recently had the rare treat of having a DQ reversed in my 800m SC race. have not heard the official reason but I get credit for my swim for the yearly rankings. It was not what Ii wanted timewise (15:58.56) but was a opportunity to handle it with grace. :0) Damm it.
I enjoy your posts. Swim on.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread.