Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012

billder99
Default La Picazon to Isla Coronado Open Water Swim

My first post, this is great finding a community of swimmers focused on open water swimming. The internet is the gift that keeps on giving.

I am 55, swam competitively and played water polo thru college but hadn't worked out in the water in over 30 years... swimmers burnout. I live in Loreto, Baja, Mexico, and last September I heard about an open water swim, 1st Annual La Picazon to Isla Coronado Open Water. I have looked longingly at this channel many a time, but now I could tackle it with others. Open salt-water is a BIG leap from the old confines of black lane lines and chlorine.

So, I did it. I had only 3 weeks to prepare for a scheduled 3.2 mile swim. It ended up being a 4.3 mile swim due to unforeseen currents... lessons learned for this years 2nd Annual Swim. I did ok, placed 5th out of 29 swimmers with about 60% club swimmers and triathletes.

This years swim will be on 13 October. This is a fabulous open water swim, 85F water, clear and safe, lots of sea turtles and schools of fish, you can see the bottom for much of the swim. Loreto is unique... a beautiful little town... quiet, peaceful, safe, friendly. If anyone wants information please contact me, I am helping to organize this year. We hope to have 60 swimmers or more... what a great way to see REAL Mexico.
Old 05-29-2012

ddetrano

About a week after this event last year, I was visiting Loreto when I heard about it and wanted to make sure it was on my calendar for 2012. I have taken the Total Immersion course and your post here makes perfect sense. But your post was the only information I could locate on the event for 2012. We visit Loreto a couple of times a year, love the town, water, and fishing. I'm from Sacramento and definitely count me in for 2012. A friend of mine was also interested. Is there a site for more information?

Denise
Old 05-30-2012

naj
Default 85f???!!!

85F?!!! Naw, way too warm for me

Keep swimming and hope the event goes well!

Naji
Old 05-30-2012

billder99

Hi Denise,

Thanks for responding, I was hoping my post would stir up some interest from the TI Forum. This will grow to be a GREAT swim event, and a bunch of fun people... it becomes a 2 or 3 day social event with pre-event meeting & dinner, post swim party, and other spontaneous gatherings.

Over 50% of our swimmers last year were women, mostly club swimmers from La Paz and Mexico City. It is great that you already know about Loreto.

You can see our webpage and pre-registration at http://picazoncoronado.com/indexenglish.html . Send me an e-mail at billd@tccloreto.com and I will add your e-mail on the notification list... we plan to do a series of little information updates as the date approaches. Let me know if you have any questions about good airfares, lodging, etc... look forward to meeting you in October.

Bill Doyle
www.tccloreto.com

Last edited by billder99 : 05-30-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2012

billder99

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
85F?!!! Naw, way too warm for me
Hola Naji,
Last year was unseasonably warm... normally the water will be closer to 81-82F in mid-October. It may seem warm, but with clear water, lots of beautiful fish and turtles, this is quite a scenic swim... I like cooler water as well, but this is very comfy. Come on down!
BD

Last edited by billder99 : 05-30-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2012

ddetrano

I didn't think the water was that warm in October--August it is a Spa, but much cooler in October. I usually fish too (catch and release) when I visit Loreto with Pam from Baja Big Fish, so on the water for most the days of my visits. I will send you an email and register. I just booked my tickets as my in-laws are coming too. Sounds like a great time. - Denise
Old 06-09-2012

billder99

Hi Denise,

That's great! I have a nice boat for diving and fishing, I look forward to meeting you. We are now in our 7th year living in Loreto, gets better all the time.

We have some new restaurants in town, really excellent. Also, if you have not stayed at Las Cabanas I strongly recommend you give them a try (if you can get a reservation... they are mostly sold out). I don't know if you heard, but Loreto just received the federal designation "Pueblo Magico", going to be receiving lots of funds for infrastructure improvements, all revolving around KEEPING the character of Loreto (will never be Cabo North, thank goodness).

Stay in touch, let me know when you will be arriving.

BD