Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default No Nose Clip

(It's an honour to be the one to make the crickets stop chirping in this area.)

It seems that someone stole my nose clip. No matter. I successfully did a few flips without getting water up my nose. As was pointed out, starting to exhale *before* starting the flip is critical. Otherwise, even a steady exhale during the flip won't keep the water out of my nose.

Also, I was able to do inverted streamlining for a short distance without too much water getting in my nose. Actually, the water seems to get in as I surface. (Some people seem to have a similar problem when learning to roll to air like I did.) For me the distance must be short because I run out of air, and maybe because my nose is relatively big. hehe (See my profile picture.)

How much does lung capacity and nose size affect inverted swimming?

I'd recommend the Speedo "competition" nose clip for such practice. I miss it. T_T
Old 11-13-2008

daveblt

Have you tried breathing out a little more forcefully from your nose and continued the exhale all the way THROUGH to the surface ?

Dave
Old 11-13-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Have you tried breathing out a little more forcefully from your nose and continued the exhale all the way THROUGH to the surface ?
Yes. I guess I stop exhaling too early most of the time. At the pressure I'm using I seem to run out of air pretty quick. I don't get much beyond the flags before I surface.
Old 12-24-2008

daren

I also have a hard time with inverted underwater dolphining and keeping water out of my nose. What I do is just let the water stuff up my nose and then after I surface give a big exhaul through the nose to pump all the water out. I know it kinda sounds nasty, and I feel a burning sensation in my nasal passage after a while.

One thing I wouldn't do is exhale harder. That just didn't work for me.
Old 12-24-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post

The combination of lip curling under the surface and NOT curling the lip as I break the surface helps. That and making sure I have enough air to exhale through the surface. I think I'm even using less pressure now.