Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009

armania
Default Snorkel

Hello,

I'm considering buying snorkel so that I can really concentrate on my freestyle swimming form. My question is: Is snorkel a NO NO (just like kickboard) in TI method?

Thanks before
Old 02-07-2009

Adam

A snorkel is OK to use, since it doesn't imprint any bad habits. The reason TI swimmers don't like kickboards is that it imprints a flat body position. The kickboard is basically good at allowing you to endure a kick you'll never use...

The snorkel on the other hand, does no such thing - you can still swim much in the same way you will later, when you learn to fit a seamless breath into your stroke cycle.

However, breathing is where everything breaks down for most swimmer, so be ready for some hard work once you give up the snorkel.
Old 02-07-2009

armania

Thanks Adam :)
Old 02-07-2009

Rhoda

I got a snorkel for Christmas and have found it useful for some things. If I'm doing active balance drills, I can focus fully on the body rotation and not have to think about anything else. It's also good for under switch (spear switch, I think it's now called), which is not an easy drill to fit breathing into. It isn't the most comfortable training tool - my nose tends to fill with water even when I use a nose clip - but can be useful if you just want to focus on one thing at a time and work breathing in later when you have the hang of that one thing.
Old 02-08-2009

Jamwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by armania View Post
I'm considering buying snorkel so that I can really concentrate on my freestyle swimming form. My question is: Is snorkel a NO NO (just like kickboard) in TI method? e
I see two major drawbacks to the snorkel. Obviously it does not teach you to breath, but like Rhoda points out having it for simple drills would make them more effective.

But the less obvious drawback is that your otherwise sleek, graceful swimming looses all coolness when you stop midpool coughing for air because you turned your head too far staring that the girl in the next lanes' stroke.

Last edited by Jamwhite : 02-08-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2009

splashingpat
Default ahh.....looking at that guy (or girl) is nice to "see" em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwhite View Post
I see two major drawbacks to the snorkel. Obviously it does not teach you to breath, but like Rhoda points out having it for simple drills would make them more effective.

But the less obvious drawback is that your otherwise sleek, graceful swimming looses all coolness when you stop midpool coughing for air because you turned your head too far staring that the girl in the next lanes' stroke.

a snorkel is a wise swimming tool
and not mentioned
enuf!

pat
Old 10-15-2009

westyswoods

I have used a snorkle on and off for drills. They are great adjuncts and if anything will reinforce how important breathing is to good TI. When using one I can do a 25 yd pool in a 15-16 SPL while concentrating on streamlining. My time is about 26 secs. Take the snorkle away and things falls to 18-20 with a 30-32 sec time. Great though for helping feel what is supposed to be. Just don't forget it is a tool. Also if you get one get a center mount snorkle. I believe Finis has them and they are much better for drills and can even help with staying streamlined if you focus. Good luck and don't forget to practice you rotation drills

Westy
Old 10-15-2009

debralambourn
Default Freestyle Snorkel

I woul highly recommend the Freestyle snorkel made by Finis. It will also help imprint the head position and you can start practicing the nodding drills with it to a certain extent.
Old 10-15-2009

Mike from NS
Default Aides for the aged "beginner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashingpat View Post
a snorkel is a wise swimming tool
and not mentioned
enuf!

pat
Both the snorkel and fins are great tools to help our way along the learning curve. The thing I think we should be careful about is not becoming dependant upon them. I have become more dependant upon the fins than the snorkel and I'm trying to shed this by always swimming the last 15 or 20 minutes of a pool visit without them (as well as for other times of the same visit). The snorkel makes breathing so easy that it provides for an ease of practice of the drills. Right Pat?

Mike
Old 10-15-2009

splashingpat
Default hi mikey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Both the snorkel and fins are great tools to help our way along the learning curve. The thing I think we
should be careful about is not becoming dependant upon them.
I have become more dependant upon the fins than the snorkel
and I'm trying to shed this by always swimming the last 15 or 20 minutes of a pool visit without them
(as well as for other times of the same visit).
The snorkel makes breathing so easy
that it provides for an ease of practice of the drills.

Right Pat?

Mike
The snorkel is a different kind of breathing (mouth breathing) the inability to get air thru the nose! limits how I get my air....makes me go in PANIC MODE
& It is one experience that I would NOT prefer!

I do Not like to see the SNORKEL MASK used without the snorkel....
I have pet pevs....I wish I did NOT!
but
It is a great set when used together!

I am still working on not getting upset with things I have NO CONTROL over!
Hi Mikey....

Masterin' My Middle Eastern Dance! known as *beledi alway formed an intergral part of women's gatherings, dancing was a very personal expression, the dancer were not judge or compared to one other.
This was not a competition, no one was better than her neighbor,
and no matter how poor or unskilled a dancer,
she was never criticized;
every dancer received only encouragement and praise from her companions
*EXCERPT FROM "Virgins of Paradise by Barbara Wood!

hi mikey,
Pat

Last edited by splashingpat : 10-15-2009 at 07:16 PM.