Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default 500im

I think it would be reasonable (maybe slightly ambitious) to make my training goal a 500 yard individual medley; 125y of each stroke, just to make certain that I could handle a 400 metre IM. This would be my maximum overall distance. How should I train for it? (I'm just finishing my 11th month since my first swim lesson, so I'm expecting it to take a while.)
Old 12-04-2008

AWP

Shu,
Perhaps start out by reviewing Terry's blog on his 500 interval training. A great template for all. This will give you some idea as to the type of 'format' and mindset to follow. Segment even more, considering the other strokes are involved.
Under a year it would be wise to ease into it. You seem to have the foresight to formulate your practice week accordingly.
My two bits, it all starts with ((balance)) and fluidity. Great relaxation with smooth movements, 'baby' movements if you will. Some super easy lengths of drilling to whole stroke and you're on your way. Power,speed and times ((will)) find you. Kaizen and much luck.

P.S. hope (Shu) isn't bad : )
Old 12-04-2008

shuumai
Default shu/shuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
P.S. hope (Shu) isn't bad : )
Well, it's just a nickname that I gave myself for online use. I looked up some definitions real quick and found some interesting entries.

shuu :: circuit | lap | circumference | vicinity | Chou (dynasty)

shu :: (one's) master | (our) lord

OK, I will accept both! haha Technically, I use two U's though.
Old 12-05-2008

shuumai

I did read Laughlin Sensei's blog. I guess I'm looking for very basic info. Like, how far should I be able to swim each individual stroke? Is doing 500 yards of the crawl alone good for working on the overall distance?
Old 12-08-2008

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
I did read Laughlin Sensei's blog. I guess I'm looking for very basic info. Like, how far should I be able to swim each individual stroke? Is doing 500 yards of the crawl alone good for working on the overall distance?
I guess you can certainly focus on one stroke at a time before putting them together.
Segmenting repeats adding up to 125 yd/m can be your target at the moment and when ready then adding up to 4 rounds which would equal 500.
Shorter repeats to better develop your muscle memory (endurance) and your mental endurance for each stroke as the distance increases.
Primary focus, on smooth movements (balance and streamlining in all) and a sustainable effort with plenty of rest and then perhaps work your way to setting intervals. Gradually shortening the interval and rest keeping it comfortable.
eg.
5x25 fly (125)
5x25 bk (125)
5x25 brst (125)
5x25 fr (125)
or maybe
4 rounds of 5x25 of one stroke.
Drilling can and should be part of the process, incorporate.
You may become more apt at one stroke then the other but try and keep the effort the same.
You can swim a 400 in free now so 25s may seem regressive, but how well can you swim these at your highest efficiency? adding an interval? remaining quiet yet sustaining a repeatable pace, tempo, spl?
Lots of fun stuff to work on!
Old 02-13-2009

shuumai

I read in "Gold in the Water" that swimming the breaststroke part of an IM like it's an isolated event is not wise. It was in reference to Tom Wilkins and the 400m IM, I think. It said that shifting the work to the legs would help keep the arms fresh for the crawl. Is that something worth practising or is it just a minor adjustment to be made as needed? I mean, if I only intend to swim breaststroke as part of an IM, should I train differently?

I'm also curious if using a 2-beat kick during part of the crawl is a terrible idea.