Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011

Mempho
Default Corrective Goggles or Contacts?

My wife once asked me why, since I'm such an excellent swimmer, I never go near the pool. I answered that (1) I'm an absolutely horrible swimmer, and (2), more importantly, I'm blind in the pool without my glasses.

I finally decided I needed to learn how to swim, at least so I could quit cringing when my wife kept telling people I was near Olympic caliber.

The first thing I needed was a pair of goggles, and I was amazed to see corrective goggles selling for the same price as plain goggles. I ordered a pair and have been very pleased. Speedo Vanquisher -3.50, if you have to know. Comfortable with no leaks, but poor peripheral vision and a strap that's too short. (What is it with Speedo??? Every damn thing they make is one size too small.)

But it's a nuisance to have to carry around glasses as well as goggles. So I've been wondering if maybe contacts and plain goggles would be less of a hassle, and give me better vision in the bargain. But before spending another $17, I thought I'd consult the collective wisdom of the Forum

So which is better for you fellow myopes -- corrective goggles, or wearing contacts with plain lens goggles?

Jim
Old 03-13-2011

ames

Jim,

I've worn contacts since I was 12 years old. In fact, that was one of my excuses for not learning how to swim for years. They are not the disposable kind and it would be pretty expensive to lose one in the pool. I use regular goggles and have never had a problem, except maybe if I don't get them tight enough they might leak a little. I am pretty blind so if I got corrective lenses, they would be so thick, they would probably make me sink to the bottom of the pool. If you can wear contacts I definitely think that is the way to go.
ames
Old 03-13-2011

C-Dad

I wear gas permeable contact lenses with Speedo goggles and have had no problems whatsoever. I even used to casually swim without goggles without issue, although not advisable for lap swimming. Personally, I wouldn't like the hassle of managing eyeglasses at the pool.
Old 03-13-2011

andreasl33

I use AquaSphere Eagle goggles. Their advantage is that the glasses can be ordered separately, so you can insert a -4.0 glass in one eye and a -5.0 in the other. They don't leak and and comfortable to wear. They are not cheap, I paid around 50 EUR including both glasses, but then 50 EUR is what I spend on swimming every three days (2x 12 mile drive + entry). I have had them for almost two years now and used them pretty much daily and their condition is still good. The glasses should not wear out at all. Maybe the silicone frame will leak someday, but one can replace it for 15 EUR or so.
Old 03-13-2011

Grant

As I have quite severe astigmatism I cannot get corrective lenses in my swim goggles. So went to contacts. They were wonderful as I could see even the smallest numbers on my watch. Had to stop using them as the glaucoma in my left eye was getting to the point where if it was left any longer I could have non reversable optic nerve damage. So the Doc installed what amounts to an extra drain (its called a bleb) and advised to stay away from the contacts. So back to squinting at the old watch and incomplete info.
But I stress that the contacts gave great results.
Old 03-13-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Like Andreas, I wear AquaSphere Eagle goggles. Very comfortable and they don't leak. The cost about £17 in the UK. I generally wear glasses but don't bother correcting my sight when swimming. I find there isn't much I need to see anyway, although I can see the advantage when swimming outdoors.
Old 03-13-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mempho View Post
So which is better for you fellow myopes -- corrective goggles, or wearing contacts with plain lens goggles?

Jim
Hello Jim,
contacts provide the best vision and are very practical, however is not really advisable to wear them in a pool unless you take them off immediately afterwards. Not good for your eyes.
Seek an optician advice too.
Old 03-14-2011

eganov

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
Hello Jim,
...however is not really advisable to wear them in a pool unless you take them off immediately afterwards. Not good for your eyes.
I don't see why not (no pun intended). I've worn soft contacts and goggles for years with no problems.
Old 03-14-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganov View Post
I don't see why not (no pun intended). I've worn soft contacts and goggles for years with no problems.
Just google it or, even better, ask why to an eye doctor.
Old 03-14-2011

eganov

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
Just google it or, even better, ask why to an eye doctor.
I've asked, googled and been wearing them with goggles for many years. No one would recommend wearing them w/o goggles - they fall out. Even if they didn't there is a risk of picking up water-born junk that could cause an infection - just like if you handle them with dirty fingers or don't clean them regularly. Common sense - wear goggles and keep them as clean as you normally should.