Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010

ArikB
Default How to prepare to long distance swim?

Hi,
I'd like to take part of 3-5km (and maybe even longer [10km] OW swims in the future).
My goal is not to finish first, but to have a good pace, finish in a good position in the middle, and have fun.

My weekly routine (no race ahead) involves 2-3 visits to the pool every week, 2-3km every time.
I swim in sets of 100-200 m, doing different tempos, drills, etc.

I'm a little confused regarding the weekly distance I should swim, preparing for the race, since on one hand, if I swim at a comfortable pace, I should be able to maintain it "forever" (let's limit "forever" to 5km). On the other hand, I see lots of training plans for 5km swims, reaching 8-9km a week!

So, is my weekly training routine enough?
If not, then what would a training plan for 5km and 10km look like?
If there's a difference between the two, then it is in contradiction to the "ability to maintain a comfortable pace for almost every distance", which is one of the ideas behind TI, or isn't it?

Appreciate any comments,
Arik
Old 06-07-2010

ewa.swimmer

I too get intimidated by some posted workouts that are 4000+ yards and wonder if I should be putting in more yardage a week to train for longer swims. I usually put in around 2000 yds a practice 4-5 times a week.
My longest swim was a 5 mile open ocean swim last Dec. I did fine. The only part of me that was really sore was my throat from all the salt water. I'm considering doing a 10K in August.
I know swimming is 80% technique and 20% fitness (power). Do I need to increase the yardage to make sure my fitness can support my technique for the longer races?
Old 06-07-2010

naj

Hi Guys,

I wouldn't be so concerned about yardage as technique at this point. You'll want to have a solid TI foundation and then you can progress from there. That being said, my usual way of preparing for a long distance swim is to reach 80% of the distance that is the whole swim. For instance, if I am swimming 10 miles then at least once - possibly twice - a week I will want to have a long swim of 8 miles. The rest of the week involves interval training shorter endurance swims, drills etc...

Also, if I were you I'd get out there and do the long swims in open water if it possible. EWA this shouldn't be a problem for you based on where you live (Hawaii), ArikB depending on where you are you can do a lot of work in the pool, but eventually I would advise getting out to ow for a long swim prior to the real deal. Keep in mind this is how I work and may not be best for you.

Keep Swimming!
Naji