Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010

Alex-SG
Default BALANCE: Suggested Plan to achieve it?

What TI drills can be used for Balance? In what order?

I am very good at Superman glide, Superman flutter, Skating. Yet when I switch to Freestyle I am still not balanced.

Why is that? Is there such a thing as static vs. rotation balance?
I feel that something in the freestyle stroke makes me lose my DRILL balance.

What is a suggested phased Plan (Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3) to achieve BALANCE? Thanks. ALEX

Last edited by Alex-SG : 03-14-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Alex,
Static balance is easier because you only have one set of muscles needed to hold your position. As you rotate, you have to keep that balance as your muscles change. It is not easy.

That is the purpose of the single switch drills: either spear switch or zen switch. One of the focal points can be to keep the hips up as you roll. Whatever tools you use to get your hips up in skating become a new focal point as you roll.

The standard order was developed because it is easier to learn this rotational balance with spear switch because your arms are in front of you. As you move to zen switch it gets more difficult because your arms are in a less natural position.
Old 03-12-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
What IT drills can be used for Balance? In what order?

I am very good at Superman glide, Superman flutter, Skating. Yet when I switch to Freestyle I am still not balanced.

Why is that? Is there such a thing as static vs. rotation balance?
I feel that something in the freestyle stroke makes me lose my DRILL balance.

What is a suggested phased Plan (Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3) to achieve BALANCE? Thanks. ALEX
Alex, I share your pain. But I've actually been working on it and its showing results. I went back to drills but since I have difficulty kicking properly to keep myself in position, I added fins. I also started drilling using the following youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZ1cTHRG7I . Its basically a set of drills that you probably already do. They start out with sweetspot with emphasis on showing one shoulder then another. But then they add the "roll like a log" which is basically rolling from one sweet spot to another. The progress to skates integrated with the sweetspot rolling. And finally to single, double switches, and triple switches.

The reason why I mention this video is that I now do sweet spot drill for a couple of lengths and then I skate for a couple of lengths. I don't particularly like the roll like a log part because I inevitably get water up my nose and sinuses. But I do it anyway because after that I swim pretty effortlessly. Even when I'm tiring, I do a couple more lengths of these drills which immediatley picks up my swimming. Maybe you've already seen this video but if you haven't its pretty amazing. And if I understand Coach Eric's points, the video is giving you integration of static vs rotational drilling. What I do now is I drill 4 lengths and then swim a couple of lengths. Then alternate swiming a couple and drilling a couple. After a while I might start swimming exclusively but when I start laboring, I go back to the drills. The next length of swimming is always better. Let me know what you think
Old 03-12-2010

MarkkuS

In the video all spear almost up, instead of horizontally or slight down. Not a word of the importance of finding your own best down spearing angle.

And nothing about doing wide tracks.
Old 03-13-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Atreides,
Don't be bashful about using a nose clip for the active balance lengths. I use one when I am working on any kind of back balance because the border between balanced and head under is so delicate that I often get water up my nose.

This video is from the original set of videos from several years ago. The ideas of wide tracks and deeper arms had not yet evolved.

I really like the the active balance drills. I also do it on my stomach. For this I use a snorkel for the basic version and incorporate breathing as the advanced version. Again, you have to be spot on to get air while doing this. I like them because they make any errors obvious. These are the drills I do when i start thinking am doing really well and want a reality check.
Old 03-14-2010

Alex-SG

CoachERIC: ATREIDES:
That's exactly what I meant.
After achieving Static balance, the next step is rotational balance.

So I gather that:
STEP 1: STATIC BALANCE: Superman glide, Superman Fluff, Skating
STEP 2: ROTATIONAL BALANCE: "Roll like a log", "single spear-switch", "single zen-switch"...

Focal point = high hips sounds the right thing to do for rotational balance, I will try this.

There is still 1 point which I'd like to highlight... all these drills take place with a high frequency Kick (which makes it easier to keep legs/feet up).

When Swimming Freestyle with a 2BK, the frequency of kicking (=SR) is much lower... So does the Freestyle balance differ from the drill balance?

Or should one do balance drills at a decreasing kick rate to get closer to the 2BK free style reality? Let me know. Thanks. ALEX
Old 03-14-2010

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
CoachERIC: ATREIDES:
That's exactly what I meant.
After achieving Static balance, the next step is rotational balance.

So I gather that:
STEP 1: STATIC BALANCE: Superman glide, Superman Fluff, Skating
STEP 2: ROTATIONAL BALANCE: "Roll like a log", "single spear-switch", "single zen-switch"...

Focal point = high hips sounds the right thing to do for rotational balance, I will try this.

There is still 1 point which I'd like to highlight... all these drills take place with a high frequency Kick (which makes it easier to keep legs/feet up).

When Swimming Freestyle with a 2BK, the frequency of kicking (=SR) is much lower... So does the Freestyle balance differ from the drill balance?

Or should one do balance drills at a decreasing kick rate to get closer to the 2BK free style reality? Let me know. Thanks. ALEX
Maybe my technique needs so much improvement that it doesn't matter. But I use fins and the drills still help. It's like I'm teaching the rest of my body what to do or more importantly how to do it. The roll like a log drill has really improved my body rotation. Its much more unitary now as opposed to before. I'm afraid I was bending my kneck a little too much. I'm still not sure what they mean by hiding your head but I think it means to tuck your chin in. When I was doing the sweet spot drill, I notice that when I leaned back but tucked my chin forward my feet practically flew up. When you're on your back tucking your chin forward seems to be counterintuitive but it works. I now tuck my chin in freestyle which used to terrorize me because I thought I couldn't get to air. but the increased rotational ability makes this not a problem. I do the drills with fins then turn around and swim without them with the 2BK. I don't know why I swim better after the drills but I do.

And Coach ED, Thanks for the tip on the nose clips. I really dreaded the rolling drills but there was an upside. I think the water is clearing out my sinuses. I've been running better here lately and I think its because I'm breathing better. But I think I rather do more drills right now. So I will be getting nose clips as soon as possible.